Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

So I'm still getting around to doing all the maintenance for my car. So today I went out and just bought a replacement intake filter, cabin filter and some other things because I've had a bad feeling the filter and plugs haven't really been serviced (could be wrong).

Anyways down to the problem. I'm trying to remove the top of the intake box to get at the filter but two of the screws will not come up like the other two. Whether it's a nut or whatever, I can't get anything to get a grip on it. The same goes with the other side. And of course one of them is (if you're looking at the engine bay) towards the inside of the car on the left side and then towards the front of the car on the left side.

Should I completely remove my intake to get these off or is there a better way to do this? Never thought I'd spend this much time changing my air filter but things do happen.

Has anyone had these problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
it sounds like there just spinning in place, the female thread is just a stud pushed into the plastic airbox so sometimes you need to hold the stud with your finger on the bottom. i have one stud that spins like that, after you get them out super glue the studs in place.

and welcome to FF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome to FF! Its great here and very helpful to just sit back and read sometimes!

Back to the issue though, it is the female ends that are just spinning. Here's the indication, I think that the air filter has never been changed...

The screws rusted to the metal and were completely stuck on. I tried some WD40 and sprayed a tiny amount on all four screws originally because I could see how the female end worked, and didn't want the WD40 hitting the bottom and creating this problem.

Looks like it happened anyways. I've tried a couple of different pair of plyers and even locking ones but cannot get a decent grip on those two ends.

Ideas anyone?
 

·
Focus Hoarder
Joined
·
3,633 Posts
Personally I would dremil the heads off punch the remaining stud shaft through with the nut go to a wrecker and cut out a pair of clean nuts and bolts then Epoxy them into place on the current airfilter box (making sure not to epoxy the threads heheh)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,135 Posts
taking the whole this off would not be hard all you have to do is take off the MAF and then pull the whole box up but you should be able to stick a fingure or flathead under there to hold the washer that the bolt is threaded in to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanks everyone for their help! problem is solved finally. Got the top of the intake box 3/4 of the way off but enough to get the filter in there. The filter that was in there was really dirty, I doubt that has been changed in a while.

How did I fix it? Well, I ended up ripping out the box to start with. Took not even a minute to take it out and that way I had as much space to work around the box as I wanted. The female part on the back engine side corner, was spinning as well. To get the original screw that I was having problems with out, I ended up melting with a lighter some of the box and popped the screw and female part over the plastic. (3 Sides open now) Following that, I heated up the last back corner of the box a bit (put the corner over my gas stove) and bent it open. The old filter was absolutely filthy, not sure how much dirtier a filter could get to be honest with you. My family mechanic normally shows us the filter from our 97 transport when he changes it (at regular intervals) and this filter had to be at least 5times worse.

To put it all back together once the filter was in, I used clamps on the side I bent the screw around and melted the plastic back together. Put in the other two screws, took off the resonator and put it back in the car. I know it sounds terrible, but I'm planning to get a Volant intake as soon as I start my new job (about in a month) so I figured the way I did it was fine since the box was sealed quite well for how much I ripped it apart.

Once again, thanks everyone for the input!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top