Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just went to a local dyno day here in Sarasota FL, got 2 pulls. First pull is stock, 2nd is after Hypnotic non-aggressive(smoothe) flash. Also note the temperature here was 89 degrees with high humidity, i have no other mods, and hypnotics tune didn't have time to learn. That said, I have an appointment to go in on monday for a custom dyno tune for 93 octane and I will post the results after. As you can see the factory tune had better power up top and below 3,000 rpms (although I don't agree now that hypnotics tune has set in). Also, Hypnotics tune was WAY better from 4k to 5k. We are shooting for 150hp/135tq.

We have video coming, but mine isn't too exciting. My buddies Cobra threw down 424hp and 435tq. The shop owner's '05 Stang GT which is recieving a Procharger in the next few days threw down 245hp/tq N/A and 525tq / 450 hp with spray...cause he built for that and lowered the compression in anticipation of the blower. There was a lot of cars but I liked the rear turbo Trans Am the best... it sounded orgasmic.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Man I thought we would be putting down more horsepower than that. I thought that SVTF's put down somewhere near 145 to 150 to the wheels.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't know what the deal was man...seems like I am about 10 horses and 10 ft/lbs down somehow...could be the conditions but not sure.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
probably how hot it is outside, even still...your puttin like arund where i am and i know i am at least 10whp away from svt's

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my other buddy was there in an Integra GSR with I/H/E plus different valves etc. and his compression is raised...and his was only putting down 155 fwhp...he was thinking he was at least 165 to the wheels.

Oh by the way, there was new 280R Rousch Mustang there that this really cool old guy bought for 60K....it is a SEMA show car, only 4 ever made, and his has different gears then the other 3 so his is a one of a kind, signed and everything. The value on that thing goes up daily.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, also, there was NO fan blowing air into my car, although the hood was open....does this make a difference? I just think these stock numbers are very low.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You need to raise the DSI switch over to around 5500..... it will do away with the dip you have.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Now i thought the SVT's had 170hp? Correct me if i'm wrong. How'd you get such a low number?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thats to the crank not the wheels...meaning what they measure at the engine...after that 170hp goes through the clutch, transmisson, axles ect. the friction robs you of hp & tq before that power hits the wheels. This is commonly referred to as "drivetrain loss", so every car that you see advertised, you have to subtract at least 15%...for most automatic transmissions much much more.
That said...my numbers are about 10hp / 10 Tq low and I don't know why.

·
Registered
284 Posts
something doesnt look right with that curve..definitely looks like theres detonation goin on. looks way to choppy. humid air doesnt set u back 10 hp and torque across the board.

hows your plugs, fuel filter and all that maintenence crap? car running ok in general?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, my MAF was just cleaned, my fuel pressure regulator replaced, and an 02 sensor replaced because I kept throwing CEL's saying I was running rich. Finally Ford figured out it was my K&N Typhoon throwing my fuel trims way too negative (-23) and so they swapped for stock intake and the fuel trims were fine (-2). So I have kept it stock until the dyno day and other than running slow in this hot Florida weather it's run fine. I have 22,000 miles on the car so I am wondering if I need to replace something or what (air filter maybe, ill check that today) Have not checked my plugs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I really dont think your numbers are low at all, I was reading my two focus fanatic magazines and one SVT was putting out very similar numbers as yours with tune and filter and in another article a stock SVT with just a K&N panel filter was putting out around 8 hp more at the wheels. To be honest I think it just depends on the car, there are probably so many little tiny variables in the engine, tranny, ect... that can change that type of thing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The detonation issues will be fixed...I beleive we only see these on the 2nd dyno run...the Hypnotic tune run. The shop is Modular Madness and they will give me a good 93 octane tune without detonation.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, the other Dillema I am having is whether to re-install the K&N and have them tune for that. It was taken off because it kept throwing CEL's and was making the car run poorly but I am thinking if they tune for that it would be fine. However, if I am not going to gain more than 2 hp then it isn't worth the risk to me to re-install and risk problems. Whatdya think?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a short ram and my car ran horrible with the new tune. I put the stock airbox with a K&N filter and it runs better than ever.

·
Registered
284 Posts
if i remember correctly, the focus fanatics issue that dyno tested tunes and short ram intakes used a dyno that wasn't reading correctly all the way though the gear..so in reality the engine wasn't being taken to the redline, and not making full power

ive never seen a properly running svt making as little power as that

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Spec3VR6 said:
if i remember correctly, the focus fanatics issue that dyno tested tunes and short ram intakes used a dyno that wasn't reading correctly all the way though the gear..so in reality the engine wasn't being read through the readline, and not making full power

ive never seen a properly running svt making as little power as that
I agree.. He should at least be making :

This was a stock dyno of my car..

1 - 20 of 68 Posts