Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read alot of topics on the LOC adapter to change speaker wires from the stock HU into rca's. But would I need it if I used a good quality amp. I am considering the Infinity 7541 4 channel amp. Infinity states that I could hook up the 8 speaker wires from my stock HU to the amp and then out to my 4 speakers, but I am a little leary of introducing noise. I really really want to keep the stock HU. Am I being misled, will I get it all hooked up with high expectations only to find out it doesn't sound good, or will it sound great?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It will sound ok to most people.

I wouldn't do it, but that's because I prefer a higher-end SQ system.... that also costs a lot more money.

Downside to that setup:
1) inferior DACs
2) inferior CD transport
3) inferior converted audio amplified by inferior HU amp, then filtered at the amp to them be amplified again. It's all about the final signal being amplified at the end-stage.

Again, most systems with most people will not know the difference and be totally happy with the setup. To save money, use the stock HU on the 4ch amp on good speakers and see if you like it. If not, then get a LOC, or a better HU with pre-outs. Only one way to find out.

As for External LOC vs Amp built-in LOC, tough call. Given the above mentioned factors, I'd say go ahead and use the amp LOC to keep it simple. Fewer components in the chain, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude, I guess its like most things in life, you won't know if you like it till you try it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the absolute best thing you can do to improve your sound system is invest in a new headunit ... even a $250 unit will blow the stock deck away. If you're worried about theft, you can easily re-wire it into your glovebox or under the seat.

I took mine out of both Foci, and kept one for when they get traded down the road (a $400-500 deck doesn't do much for resale value over a $200 deck).

The Infinity setup will sound okay, just don't crank it up, or you will introduce noise, and static into your speakers. You should also replace your speakers if doing this, the stock ones blow easily under stress.

I wouldn't worry about the switcher ... just splice the stock harness into wires (or buy a aspare if you're worried about ruining it) going back to your amp, it's an easy job, just time consuming depending on how you run the wires back and forth along the car.

Hope this helps! - Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts