Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ported their stock cylinder heads? Anyone have any rough flow numbers? Any areas that I shouldn't really touch? I bought one off ebay for super cheap, so I figured i would try it out since we have flow benches at school. Im hoping to add a few more horses and of course when im done ill do before and after dyno pulls for you guys and post up some good flow numbers for you guys to reference in the future.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
a flow bench is not going to help you if you dont already know a lot about flow and have a bunch of spare heads to experiment with.

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
If you have access to a flow bench it will teach you everything you need to know , plan on getting another head or 4 or 5 because you have to make mistakes to learn where and where not to remove stuff in the runners

Dont make the mistake of another company here that "claimes" to have the best flowing head , you need to port the head so it flows well with the intake and TB on it as well as with the header your going to run , having big flow numbers to screw your customers into buying them is great if thats the way you want to do buisness , But a good porter/engine builder head wont show big numbers with the intake on it and all heads that run on an engine need an intake , keeping that in mind when you do your learing it will make you a better head porter and if you get further into engine building will make you have a step ahead of your competition that hasent a clue what there doing or how your kicking there butt all the time with what you are doing Diff

Good luck , I spent well over 500 Hrs on the flow bench with the Zetec/SVT Head over time

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have access to a flow bench it will teach you everything you need to know , plan on getting another head or 4 or 5 because you have to make mistakes to learn where and where not to remove stuff in the runners

Dont make the mistake of another company here that "claimes" to have the best flowing head , you need to port the head so it flows well with the intake and TB on it as well as with the header your going to run , having big flow numbers to screw your customers into buying them is great if thats the way you want to do buisness , But a good porter/engine builder head wont show big numbers with the intake on it and all heads that run on an engine need an intake , keeping that in mind when you do your learing it will make you a better head porter and if you get further into engine building will make you have a step ahead of your competition that hasent a clue what there doing or how your kicking there butt all the time with what you are doing Diff

Good luck , I spent well over 500 Hrs on the flow bench with the Zetec/SVT Head over time
Tom

Thanks for the info/advice. We have 5 superflow 600 benches at school, so when i get back after the new year I will be spending some time in the flow bench lab and i don't plan on taking out enough material to significantly change the heads. I know getting 15% more flow out of some OEM heads is easy with the right tools and a flowbench to verify everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts