Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know what they come with? Ceramic? Semi-metallic? etc?

Ceramics are the best, correct?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmm...so no ideas?

·
Registered
584 Posts
^what he said.
Ceramics are good for daily drivers like you. A little sportier than stock, long wearing, low-ish dust, and also affordable. I'm a fan of the Hawk brand.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
As far as a recommendation if that's what you are looking for, I would suggest semi-metallics such as Hawk HPS or Mintex AF's. Ceramics are a mixed bag. Most OEM replacement ones will not stop better than a semi-metallic. They will however tend to last longer and dust less.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i want little dust. thats the big thing. thats why i was wondering about what the ST comes with stock. noone seems to know. guess ill have to ask mike lol. thanks for ur input tho! i really appreciate it when i have a question on here. i try to be the one with the answer all the time, but we all have something to learn on here!!!

i know a ceramic might not be as good for stopping, but im not too worried about that, b/c i am putting in SS brake lines. having those done for me. but I want to address the front pads soon too. i want them quiet and low-dust. the stock ST ones have been that since i have owned it.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, so I am re-opening this thread. i got my SS lines in (and um YES...get that done if you have not! those who have them in know what I am talking about) and I need new brakes in general.

from what I have seen, everyone loves the centric rotors, so i think i will do those. good idea?

now, I am on to pads, and i have seen lots of people say they like the HPS, but i have seen that they have dust issues, even the HPS. so, i have also noticed the mintex pads have been well-liked. anyone have experience with them, especially with dust issues?
also looking at wagner thermo quiets...i am told those are top of the line as well.

i want them quiet, LOW DUST, and to be a slight upgrade from stock. any ideas? opinions?

thanks.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, I just bought OEM replacements for my car.....ceramics on the front, semi-metallics on the rear. That's what Ford actually had on them from the factory.

Reactions: NemesisEnforcer

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A performance pad is going to dust. Some just do it more than others. Ceramic pads dust the least but do not have the same stopping power. Tirerack has a nice rating feature for each type of pad it sells. You can compare ceramics to composite pads. HPS is a moderate duster but not overly so in my opinion. We have Mintex on our car and dusting is less than HPS but it still occurs. Since we also have Ford rally argent (gray) wheels dusting is pretty much a non (visual) issue. We also use the Centric rotors. Good quality, reasonable price, and with the nice feature of e-coated hubs and vane edges to reduce rust. If price is an issue, consider NAPA premium rotors which cost a little less. Brembo solid rotors are also a good option.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, really? they told you that? nice, thats great, i am giving you rep...ull go up one or so from the 2 you have now. thanks so much for that.

so, how much did they run you? i hope you got them from mike at hilbish.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A performance pad is going to dust. Some just do it more than others. Ceramic pads dust the least but do not have the same stopping power. Tirerack has a nice rating feature for each type of pad it sells. You can compare ceramics to composite pads. HPS is a moderate duster but not overly so in my opinion. We have Mintex on our car and dusting is less than HPS but it still occurs. Since we also have Ford rally argent (gray) wheels dusting is pretty much a non (visual) issue. We also use the Centric rotors. Good quality, reasonable price, and with the nice feature of e-coated hubs and vane edges to reduce rust. If price is an issue, consider NAPA premium rotors which cost a little less. Brembo solid rotors are also a good option.
thanks for that...i just hit u more rep too.

i found the centrics for 25 bucks each...i would doubt the napas are cheaper...right? found them on rockauto.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
25.00 each is a great price. NAPA rotors vary alot between their on line price and the in store price. But at 25.00 I'd snarf them up for sure. We got ours at auto parts warehouse (.com) because of the free shipping they offer. At the time (last fall) it was the cheapest place I could find. I got the Mintex from Bat Inc. if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Posted via FF Mobile

I used Bendix brakes with my ST and I haven't had any problems with them. next brake job, ill just do the SVT upgrade. my brakes are semi-metallic.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay, well, in my research, i have been learning that some compounds may work with certain rotors. would the centrics need a specific type?

i also read that ceramic is a type of organic. if we use ceramic up front stock, and semi-metallic rear, i might just do that. looking to see the price on motorcraft stuff.

the shop said i can just turn my fronts, as they are still well above spec. so, i think i will just turn the fronts, and put on whatever we came with stock.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i found out what ceramics the ST come OEM...they are akenobos!! REALLY top line...many bmws use them. no wonder they have been so quiet. i think i will be doing those on the front, maybe the mintex semi-metallics on the rear. akenobo doesnt make the rears, havent figured out who does yet, but otherwise, might as well do the mintex.

any objections?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i was under the impression there were motorcraft. the dealership wanted $120 for the front set.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, they arent...motorcraft is their branded 'for the public' stuff. not always what comes OEM. the OEM stuff is often much higher-end stuff, so as to hit the market well, and be reviewed well. you get the cheaper stuff down the road, for maintenance.
the motorcrafts i think they sell for 55 or 65.

i just like to buy the best. and like it or not, it is tough to beat akebono. i have not been able to see if they make the rears or not, so i need more research into this.

i would buy wagner rotors, but all i have seen is how great the centric rotors are, here and on my other forums (including my bmw/audi forums). i can tell you that on the m3, and many other bmws, mintex and akebono are LOVED. that is why i would do that combo, unless akebono makes rears too.

i liked the ebc rotors, but too many rusting issues, and for those of you who dont know, the audi s4 uses centric rotors. i feel i cannot go wrong with centric rotors, coupled with the akebono/mintex pads combo, while turning the fronts. unless someone can tell me a good reason not to turn them...? they are above spec, and have the runout to shave.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you change pad friction material (example from semi-metallic to ceramic) you have to turn or replace the rotors. Optimum friction is created by bedding pad material into the rotor. A new pad will not bed into a pre-bedded rotor evenly. You'll end up with a braking system that shudders and has terrible pedal feel. When this happens, a lot of people claim their rotors are wrapped which is simply not the case. One problem is that not to many places can turn the focus front rotors because of the integral hub/bearing design. You need to check around to see if anyone has the proper equipment to provide that service. Tirerack carries a number of Akebono pads as well as several others for the Focus. From a personal standpoint I have never liked mixing pads. You can easily change the front and rear brake bais unless you know what you are doing. You can rarely go wrong getting matched front and rear friction materials.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, i like the idea of doing mintex all around, but they only do the semi-metallics, and if the OEM was ceramic, i dont want to change that up, u know? i have been happy with the dust level of the oem.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you like ceramics then by all means go with them. I think that you'd find that semi-metallics will actually out perform ceramics. That's what comes stock on an SVT. The only downside is that they will dust a little more but it shouldn't be an objectionable amount. In addition to Mintex and HPS, an Axxis or PBR Metalmasters would be a very good low dusting, less costly, high performance pad as well (I use them on my Miata and had them on my RX7 Pro Rally car), but Focus applications are harder to track down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts