Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help on this on guys! I have the factory Blaupunkt in my 03 and after listening to the radio side for a while it will start having static (like the station is going out of range) and is like that for all stations. I have checked the antenna, both inside and out, I've even run an extra ground wire to the chassis off the back of the radio to no avail. [rant] The CD side is perfect!

Any advice or suggestions is most appreciative!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That happened on mine too. The radio part just actually died wouldnt work at all. and my Cd player was dead so i just bought a new headunit.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
That happened on mine too. The radio part just actually died wouldnt work at all. and my Cd player was dead so i just bought a new headunit.
This.

My CD player crapped out on mine and stopped reading discs, then the radio went fuzzy, so I ditched it for a double DIN in dash dvd. I'd recommend you check out the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This.

My CD player crapped out on mine and stopped reading discs, then the radio went fuzzy, so I ditched it for a double DIN in dash dvd. I'd recommend you check out the same.
Same, Some car audio places repair stock radios, but for the price your better off buying brand new.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^I agree. It is time to cut the cord.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the info! I always thought Blaupunkt was one of the better stock units out but I guess i was wrong!

On another note....since this was a Blaupunkt set up and all (I am assuming with an amp), am I going to have to run all new speaker wires when I go to an aftermarket setup?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the info! I always thought Blaupunkt was one of the better stock units out but I guess i was wrong!

On another note....since this was a Blaupunkt set up and all (I am assuming with an amp), am I going to have to run all new speaker wires when I go to an aftermarket setup?
No the only amp you have would be for your subwoofer if you even have that it in the car. But alll the speaker wires will already be going to the head unit. all you will need for an aftermarket setup is a wiring harness.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the only amp you have would be for your subwoofer if you even have that it in the car. But alll the speaker wires will already be going to the head unit. all you will need for an aftermarket setup is a wiring harness.
Thanks Mitch! Already have all of that from my 01 wagon including 2 amps and a sub, just gotta find a nice head unit.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Just make sure when you get your harness you get the VW/Audi harness, not the regular Ford one. Everywhere you go will try and sell you the wrong wiring harness.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make sure when you get your harness you get the VW/Audi harness, not the regular Ford one. Everywhere you go will try and sell you the wrong wiring harness.
Is there a particular set of years for this harness?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
You'll need a Metra 70-1784. You'll also need an antenna power cord converter for Audis and VWs. They sell them on Amazon real cheap.

Take a look in the how tos for the double din conversion, too. There's an awesome walk through, if you decide to go that route.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll need a Metra 70-1784. You'll also need an antenna power cord converter for Audis and VWs. They sell them on Amazon real cheap.

Take a look in the how tos for the double din conversion, too. There's an awesome walk through, if you decide to go that route.
Posted via FF Mobile
I'll have to look again but my harness looks nothing like the metra number you said. Here's what i had in my 01 Focus....

Here's the back of my unit.....

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Did your car come with the Blaupunkt originally? That looks just like the wiring harness that they kept trying to sell me that was wrong.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did your car come with the Blaupunkt originally? That looks just like the wiring harness that they kept trying to sell me that was wrong.
To my knowledge it did and as you can see by the added photos of my unit the 2 larger harnesses look identical to what I had in my 01. At the moment tho I can't remember what the green plug runs but the blue one is was for my Zune.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Okay, I'm tracking now, the first shot is what you had in the 01, the second set is the back of your 03 Blaupunkt.

That metra harness I posted is the one I needed, the one for the 01 was nowhere close.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what I have from the 01 will work in the 03?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The pictures of the plug that you posted as fitting in the '01 absolutely did not fit in my '03 with the Blaupunkt. The image posted of the aftermarket harness was the one that they tried to sell me at both Best Buy and the Safe & Sound. It was no go.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I bought the metra harness you mentioned off of ebay ($2.99) but thats all the pic showed, all the other pics showed 2 separate extra wires, hope I don't need those.

I also went looking the double din how to...it wasn't there as well as the dash removal how to, got a 404 error.

Never mind on the double din, I was looking in S2's how to but the dash one wasn't there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts