Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to set up my new 07 Focus for autocrossing. I origanaly thought of the SVT suspension but it will not fit my car. I am wanting to keep it in the stock classes for now.

Any ideas on what to use and still keep it in stock???

Tim

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
What's up Tim?!
New rig! Cool!

SVT suspension wouldn't be allowed in stock class anyway.
Well, you could use the dampers, but not the springs or rear sway,
but that's a moot point anyway.
Won't fit.

The only things you can change in the stock class is dampers, and the front sway bar.
2006 rules:
http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

I highly recommend the KYB AGX (adjustable) dampers, but I'm not sure if they're out for that year yet.
On top of the dampers, get a good alignment.
Front toe: .10-.15 total toe out.
Rear toe: 0 total toe out.
Camber, unfortunately, is not adjustable.

Forget about swapping the front bar, unless you just completely remove it.
A larger front bar will only increase the inherent understeer, and you can't touch the rear.

What are your plans for tires??

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Diane finally got me a new toy. I will have it at Cheyenne.

I would like to even add a rear, ain't got one now. I believe the rules let you add if others of the same model has them.
Right now I will be using the Michelins I had on the wagon, the dealer allowed the swap. I may get autocross tires in 16s

Tim

·
Registered
308 Posts
RS-wagon said:

I would like to even add a rear, ain't got one now. I believe the rules let you add if others of the same model has them.
Nope, not in stock.

Just drive your car as it is. The major thing that will make you fast is "seat time".

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Nope, not in stock.
^^^Correct.

If the rear wasn't available on the SE, you can't put one in unless you change entirely to the other model/trim level that has a rear bar.
Example:
Rear sway is available on the ST model, but to install it on your SE, you'd have to put all the ST items on your car essentially converting your car to an ST model.

But, if the sway was an option on the SE model, then you're golden. [;)]

So, you folks have a course in Laramie now?
Or, are you going to travel down to Colorado?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colorado Denver and Col Springs. I will have to check other SEs that my have the bar. I know my 02 SE wagon had a factory bar.

Tim

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you can't get Front struts yet the rears should still fit. The only thing changed was the front struts and springs everything else stayed the same. So you could use adjustable KYB's to stiffen things up a bit in the rear for the mean time till the fronts are realeased. But the main thing to increase your times is seat time. After you have a bit of experiance behind the wheel of your focus get a good set of tires.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a little rusty at autocrossing as I haven't done it since '89. When family life made me stop for a while.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts