Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 2.0 Duratec- ZX3 5 speed.

Runs great and is very fast for what it is. I am trying to see if anyone has retained the stock air box and maybe cut it open to maybe find a filter that would work in it...maybe even a k&N.

I have not removed it but the dealer tells me it is a $200 item and is disposable. I think that is crap in design but what to do.

I do not want an open intake because of maintaining stockness and noise they make.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I still have my sock air intake from my 06 but didn't cut it open.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
from what ive seen here on the forum it is a big chunk of foam. if you wanted to you could always cust it open and run a tube into the box and put a k&n cone filter on it on the inside . but it might be more work then what its worth. all i can say is that you need to do somthing cause the stock setup is crap. its one way that ford has made it harder for the normal guy or gal to work on. ohh fyi there is no replacement filter for that box. but you prolly know that already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes...stupid design and no real reason for them to do that.

With literally thousands of filters out there I can only think one would fit. I just wondered about the inside and what it had. I did read it has 2 paper filters back-to-back and then some kind of foam.

So do you think it is the filter or the amount of bends and tubes that slow air flow in that system?

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
some people might correct me but owell. the filter is the reason why the air dosnt flow as well. i dont think its the bends . if your looking to do a cheap filter setup look for blazzingcoppers stealth cai. i had it for a while and hands down the best mod for the $$$$

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a neat set up to bypass the old filter. I was really trying to find out of anyone has been able to open the cleaner box and fit a filter in it.

The results of that mod are impressive...for next to nothing.

Thanks...

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
no point in saving the original box...the stealth idea is amazing for what it is

1 - 10 of 10 Posts