Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 03 SVT I don't have any traction control or anything and I know that they bog down but I have noticed that mine bogs down worse than my buddies with traction control. It almost sounds like it's going to die and one time I almost got hit by a damn car. I'm sure but it sounds like I am getting to much air if that is possible. But anyways I took the snorkel off of my airbox and that made a nice sound difference. Then the black cover over the radiator where the ram air is off because that dumb bump was there. I also have the ITG pro filter in my car and it does sound good it sounds pretty mean everybody thinks that I have an intake. But I have noticed though that my low end is HORRIBLE!!! It sounds like it is going to die. I just wanted to see what everybody had to say about what I did and if there's does that but I don't know why my car would bogg worse than another SVT which has TC and I know they are supposed to bogg more than my car???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the club! I have the same intake mods and have the same bogging! The tunes are the way to go! Get a tune and that is suppost to go almost completely away. That and a lightened flywheel.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The only time a TC car will bog worse than non-TC is if the tires start spinning.
Given equal traction (no tire slippage) both should have exactly the same take-off characteristics.

I take it you're not "tuned"...(SCT or Diablo).
That will be the biggest help you can get to reduce the off the line bog.

You've got the same setup as me (ITG drop in, and removed silencer) except the removed radiator cover.
I've had mine on and off several times, and IMHO, it's better to keep it on.
Yes, the bump is restricting the air flow a bit, but it's much worse when there's nothing blocking the heat coming up off of the radiator.
Not only is the snorkel pulling in hotter air, but the entire engine compartment gets hotter because of it.
Reason being, it's not directing the air properly through the radiator anymore.
I wouldn't doubt that water temps are also higher if the radiator cover is removed.

A solution (that I haven't spent nearly enough time looking into) is swapping to a radiator cover off of one of the Duratec models.
Their covers are flat all the way across, since there isn't an intake snorkel up front like on the Zetec models.

Another solution is to cut off the bump and cover it, or add a scoop where it's cut out to help channel fresh air into the snorkel.
The European cover has something like that already:
http://www.european-parts.net/catalog/images/DSC00244.JPG

But...if you don't have a tune...get one...end of story. [;)]
I wouldn't doubt your friend has one, and that's the difference you're seeing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know I always thought that ever since I pulled off that radiator cover that it felt like I got more heat soaked. But I really appreciate guys, you know I didn't know that really messed with anything. But yea I am going to put that back on when I get home especially with as hot as it has been. But my friend doesn't have a tune just a cold air intake. Maybe that's where the difference is. Now as for the snorkel can I leave that off, or because of the heat should I put that back on. I really don't want to I like that pissed off sound.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Leaving the silencer off shouldn't hurt anything at all.
It's still pulling in the air from (basically) the same location, just 4" lower.
Besides...it does sound much better...doesn't it?! [:D]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anytime you can pull cooler air, do it - regardless of sound, you'll end up w/ better performance. As others have said, a tune will cure your bogging issues.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
^^^ not 100% cure it though, probably more like 99% [:D]

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^^But it will make the car 100% more fun to drive.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put that radiator cover on my car because it was bothering me after what you guys said. As for the snorkel I might try an experiment where I put it on again and then take it off just to see the difference in noise again. Also which it could just be me I dont't think it bogged as bad with it on. But i know I know I need a tune.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
also...dont be afraid of the gas peddle. romp on that beeeotch

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
^^^^ hehe
that gas pedal is your best friend [:D]

along with my tc kill switch [;)]

·
Registered
17 Posts
mboren, I will be at depot town on thur. I have a home made kit that works good. Made one for my friend and he bought a steeda so i will bring it so you can check it out. Have a 02 silver with black rims.see ya there. Scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you going up there for that car show they have on thursdays?? I wish I could man but I'll be up north riding at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. But I'll have to check it out next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mboren, I think the show is cancelled this week.I will be at Ann Arbor thur. for texas holdem tourneyment on main st. Iwill talk to you later. thanks Scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh that sux well next week I will probably come up there then just keep me posted and I will head up there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WD40, since you have the same setup as me does having the snorkel make you feel like it really is bogging down worse?? Also I was thinking about taping that CPS because I have heard mixed reviews about it and I am thinking about trying it. I don't know if adds or loses speed but if you do loose speed it can't be that much and I don't race anyways. But I am so sick and tired of bogging down so bad. It seems like even once I'm going and the clutch is out it just sounds like I'm choking it, and it only sounds worse the more I push the gas pedal. So if this mod helps my daily driving I am going to do it because I am tired of having to wait to pull out because I am so slow pulling out of parking lots and sh**.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mboren, Still on for thur. at depot town car show ? I will be there late so will park in back behind Aubrees. Will have 2 kids and intake with me. Should be there around 6:30. See ya, Scott

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I'll stop up there and check it out. That intake you have is it like a home built CAI, Ram air or is it something that helps the stock intake?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You could do the HRW mod... the full one, where he ran a small hose from the silencer opening to the cowl in addition to cutting off the bump in front of the snorkel opening.

I installed an SVT snorkel and box on my ZTS. I noticed after driving it a while that it started to bog down. When I checked the install I saw that the snorkel had slipped half out of the airbox... not enough to notice just by casually looking at it, but it definately had an impact on my driving.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts