Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
3200+ pound car getting mid to low 14s isnt bad. take out some weight exhaust upgrade maybe better intake and ignition and you could be seeing high 13s to low 14s.

all depends on how the car takes to bolt ons and of course loosing 200+pounds will shave some time off that. take the spare tire and stock sub out, back seat, door panels, trunk carpet gotta be able to atleast get .1-.3 faster on the 1/4 mile. a few bolt ons to shred another .1-.3 off and for a decent price you could have a nice quick daily driver.
Or you can just add a CAI, exhaust and tune and push 300+ HP and not have to gut your car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Depends on how popular the car is. Im pretty confident the new st will get some aftermarket tuning options, But for cars like the fiesta there are still no tuning options and its been out since 2010. I had a 2010 wrangler and that was the last year anyone offered a performance tune for, and for the years after that there is still no tunng options for the motors, even the new 3.6. So dont get your hopes up yet. And besides people on this form have only had the new st for what 2 weeks tops??? Its gonna take awhile to crack the encryptions.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Depends on how popular the car is. Im pretty confident the new st will get some aftermarket tuning options, But for cars like the fiesta there are still no tuning options and its been out since 2010. I had a 2010 wrangler and that was the last year anyone offered a performance tune for, and for the years after that there is still no tunng options for the motors, even the new 3.6. So dont get your hopes up yet. And besides people on this form have only had the new st for what 2 weeks tops??? Its gonna take awhile to crack the encryptions.
The difference being that naturally aspirated cars are almost pointless to tune for.

Forced induction cars make the most sense.

I'm not holding my breath for a 2.0 NA tune. A 2.0 EB? Especially since this engine now powers the Focus, Edge, Escape and Fusion? Makes a better business case.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Or you can just add a CAI, exhaust and tune and push 300+ HP and not have to gut your car.
With out knowing how the St will react to bolt ons you are making a huge guess on power gain from basic bolt ons. Also with no available tuning the next logical thing to do is gut the rear of the car and add what few bolt ons there are right now and hope for a .5 second faster 1/4 mile

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Get some base model 16's. Add 24" slicks. Drop the clutch. Enjoy your "fastest ST in the country" title for a couple weeks.

Then add nitrous with the same recipe, run 12's and forever be the first ST in the 12's.

=D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Get some base model 16's. Add 24" slicks. Drop the clutch. Enjoy your "fastest ST in the country" title for a couple weeks.

Then add nitrous with the same recipe, run 12's and forever be the first ST in the 12's.

=D
Now that sounds like an idea! [drinking] [;)]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was happy to hear the tire slip during shift to 3rd gear. In my mind, the Subaru BRZ has edged ahead of the ST as a potential purchase, but admittedly the ST would school the BRZ in this kind of face-off. If only we could get the BRZ's style with the ST's powerplant.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not a fan of the BRZ/FRS/whatever personally. It wreaks of typical Japansese styling which is utterly unappealing to me. The ST is a useful car as well, so IMO it is a much better all around car. Utility and performance in the same package.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
The BRZ is coming in an STI variety which will solve the HP issues but still not as practical as the ST but I doubt most BRZ buyers really care much past the 2 front seats.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Right. I've told the Subaru dealer that I'm not making a decision without hearing the specs of the 2014 model, which people are speculating may have a bit more juice than the current version. I don't really need an STI version, but 50 more HP would be nice.

As for the Focus ST, I'd have probably jumped on that already if it were offered in a sedan (or even better a coupe), but as a hatchback I can't do it. Super cool car though, and I find that now I'm staring at all the Foci I pass every day looking for the ST badge and grill. Still haven't seen my first one though.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The rumors that I'm hearing of the BRZ STI are about 50 more HP, lighter, and some body kitting, among other things. The folks at Subaru still insist that the power boost will come via intake, exhaust, cam timing, increased redline, etc. etc., saying that a turbo "won't fit in the engine bay".

Guess no one told these guys:
Accelerated Performance BRZ Turbo - 400(ish) HP and 11.3 in the quarter

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I would love to drag race one of these. I imagine the 5 to 60 is enough to put a grin on your face! :) Would be a blast around a track though as well..hell...it would be fun to put it in 3rd on the freeway and out lane a porsche 911!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think it'll hit a 13 stock unless you strip out some of the interior. i'm seeing alot of low 6s 0-60 times from a few tests and that puts it in the mid 14s but I think a very low 14 is possible but no 13s in a showroom stock car.
13's are possible, full interior too. 60fts are slow but sort of fast for a FWD and experienced driver.

SRT-4's (Neon) with similar power did 13's its all about hooking it up, most people CAN'T DRIVE and/or have poor track conditions.

I had boost leaks with my '03 SRT-4 so it ran high 14's at 3700ft above sea level. Once I got the boost leaks sorted out, Stage 1, 23" slick, 3" exhaust it ran 13.5. Ported Intake, and Exhaust Manifold, clipped turbo 16psi = [email protected]

It doesn't take much but traction is your biggest issue. Slicks dropped 60fts from 2.2-2.3 down to 1.78-1.80 on average.

2 tenths at the start (60ft) doubled at the end of the strip. Knock the 60ft down to 2 flat and it should run 14 flat if not 13.9. 97mph tells you there's enough power to do 13's stock.

The problem with many of the newer FWD performance cars is they are built for balanced performance, so they put huge brakes on them (Like the Caliber SRT-4 had) which limits your wheel sizes. On the Neon SRT-4, 14" wheels was min you can't go smaller and use a 24.5" slick without running a smaller non-Turbo Neon rotor. Same on Calibers you have to change the stock brake rotor out to use 15" wheel and some slicks.

The smallest wheel on the Focus I think are 15"s but the ST has some sort of Brembo type package and those wheels won't fit.

However that said, the aftermarket is addressing this with larger (18") drag radials that will work on FWD cars.

I targeted the ST back when they said "One Ford" and the rumors started flying.

Depending on several things, I may get one in 2014 or the Dart SRT-4, we'll see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would love to drag race one of these. I imagine the 5 to 60 is enough to put a grin on your face! :) Would be a blast around a track though as well..hell...it would be fun to put it in 3rd on the freeway and out lane a porsche 911!
With Stage 3R I was door to door with a 2nd gen Z06 Corvette... :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
13's are possible, full interior too. 60fts are slow but sort of fast for a FWD and experienced driver.

SRT-4's (Neon) with similar power did 13's its all about hooking it up, most people CAN'T DRIVE and/or have poor track conditions.

I had boost leaks with my '03 SRT-4 so it ran high 14's at 3700ft above sea level. Once I got the boost leaks sorted out, Stage 1, 23" slick, 3" exhaust it ran 13.5. Ported Intake, and Exhaust Manifold, clipped turbo 16psi = [email protected]

It doesn't take much but traction is your biggest issue. Slicks dropped 60fts from 2.2-2.3 down to 1.78-1.80 on average.

2 tenths at the start (60ft) doubled at the end of the strip. Knock the 60ft down to 2 flat and it should run 14 flat if not 13.9. 97mph tells you there's enough power to do 13's stock.

The problem with many of the newer FWD performance cars is they are built for balanced performance, so they put huge brakes on them (Like the Caliber SRT-4 had) which limits your wheel sizes. On the Neon SRT-4, 14" wheels was min you can't go smaller and use a 24.5" slick without running a smaller non-Turbo Neon rotor. Same on Calibers you have to change the stock brake rotor out to use 15" wheel and some slicks.

The smallest wheel on the Focus I think are 15"s but the ST has some sort of Brembo type package and those wheels won't fit.

However that said, the aftermarket is addressing this with larger (18") drag radials that will work on FWD cars.

Depending on several things, I may get one in 2014 or the Dart SRT-4, we'll see.
I once owned a '87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z. 2.2L inter-cooled turbo. Special engine from Dodge; not the normal intake, turbo or internals of regular old 2.2's. I set the B/FS (B class, FWD) Stock record with out touching the engine which had about 78,000 miles on it. Catback only and slicks @ 14.13 ET.
I took it home, rebuilt the engine to NHRA Stock specs, blueprinted / balanced, Total Seal Gapless rings, still stock cam. Open exhaust. 20" slicks (they don't make them anymore). I spoke to the chief race engineer @ Chrysler as I was looking for sponsorship money. I said I expected to have the 1st 13 second FWD car in NHRA Stock. He spent 45 minutes on the phone telling me how much he knew and how little I knew. He said MAYBE I would crack 13 but he seriously doubted it. I thanked him for his time and proceeded to record the first FWD NHRA Stocker in the 13's. Not by a little, by a lot. How about 13.26 Mr. Race Engineer? Record didn't get surpassed for 10 years and finally (as it should) was bettered by an SRT4 Neon in the 12.70's.

As dj4monie stated, a LOT of drivers can't drive a car on the drag strip. I've been drag racing on actual strips for 35+ years and I've seen a lot of Bozo's come and go. I've driven other peoples cars and picked up several tenths to nearly a half-second just by driving the car.

So here's a simple formula that works. And I'm not going to hear arguments. Either accept it or don't. For a 1/4 mile dragstrip use 1320 / MPH = potential ET. I said potential. That means you need tires that don't spin, no bogging off the line, shifting like a man, you know, like a real race car. And a real race clutch goes a long way.

So the Stedda ST ran 97 MPH. 1320 / 97 = 13.60 ET. That means there is enough HP to deliver that vehicle to 97 MPH at the end of the track. Weight has no significance. You'll go more or less MPH by adjusting the weight.
I doubt you'll find a street ST that hits 13.60 with a 97 MPH trap speed, it will need slicks at the very least. But the HP is there to do it and you don't even have to open the hood. The formula is linear. So you may ad enough HP to make a 13.60 ET on street tires but at the same time you'll have a higher MPH to match whatever mods you've done.

Considering the weight of an ST with driver (approximately 3400#'s), I'm impressed.

And I need to take my SVTF to the drags one day. Now that the weather is cooler, I need to go. Engine is stock except I have a 67mm TB, drop-in K&N, hi-flo cat (rest of exhaust is stock), a Tom's Tune (love it!), sticky Pilot Super Sports and adjustable Koni's so I can control wheel hop.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts

The SRT-4 is lighter, has lighter wheels and tires, and a better gear ratio from what I can tell. So, it would be able to run .3 or so faster than the ST. I'm happy that the ST is slower than my stock car though [wiggle]

·
Registered
170 Posts
maybe im a little late and this has already been posted, but this guy seems to have tapped 13's in the new ST with only a 3" turbo back and a solid dogbone mount...

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
maybe im a little late and this has already been posted, but this guy seems to have tapped 13's in the new ST with only a 3" turbo back and a solid dogbone mount...

Yup JakeBrewer's car from FJ. He doesn't post on here.

He's going back to the track this weekend with FSWERKS tune on the car.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts