Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Ok race update. Raced at Charlotte motor speedway this past weekend. The ITA car for the enduro at night under the lights. The STL car we ran in two sprint races. And the first time in a Scca majors race. Well new radiator in the ITA car. First rule, check the direction of the fans. I didn't. It ran in the shop so all good, nope. First rule have someone smarter than me double check. Anyway overheat and no qualifier. Start dead last. All good, we tear thru the field and 10 laps in doing great. Until a fitting on the rad blows off. Get to pits lose 23 mins but we go back out and finish and have a great time. The sprint races are a blast, sat we run really well and win. Raced hard and was able to learn more about the track. Sun we were entered in the majors race. Much more at stake for all there, as this is the qualifier for the runoffs. I have never run with these guys. 40 min 2 in the afternoon at 94 degrees with a ton of humidity. Qualified 10th overall, 3rd in class. These guys are on a different level of serious. Every lap was like the last lap running for the checkered flag. No give all take. I will try to post the video as it was one of my best runs and most fun in years. We chased, we passed, got passed, ran three wide into turn 3 NASCAR. Oh the motor 6300rpm in 5th down the back straight, thru 3/4 to the turn in. Never missed a beat, 200 degrees not a bit hot, perfect a/f. Just did what tom expects beats Miatas and the other fast Mazda. An Rx-8. Yeah we showed the rear bumper of the focus zx-3 to an all out build rx8. Yeah it didn't suck. We won our first majors race, finish 5th over all and shocked everyone including our whole team. I drove way above my normal, ran 10 tenths for 19 laps and just haven't stopped smiling. Both drove on the trailer so what could be better. Nothing. Thanks tom, thanks Patrick, Mike, Rick and Amy a great team .

·
Registered
392 Posts
So you are running a 3" header back exhaust on the 2.0? Was that the result of testing or just a recommendation from Tom. Curious on how you settled on a 3", and wondering if my build is undersized. Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
It was a direct recommendation from tom, but after looking at the notes we had from the header builder, it was also a recommendation to run 3". The info I have from a burns info sheet their recommendation was nothing less than 2.5".

·
FF Affiliate
30,763 Posts
So you are running a 3" header back exhaust on the 2.0? Was that the result of testing or just a recommendation from Tom. Curious on how you settled on a 3", and wondering if my build is undersized. Thanks

Chris
Many say 3 inch it isnt just from me and I recommend it from testing on my Dynojet , when people listen , follow the plan and see it through where the right combination is used these are the results , Mike has the highest HP low compression 2.0 Duratec with stock parts out there that I now of anywhere , you need to loose that standalone and go back to a ECU made to run that engine , I can see no less then 5-7hp more you would of had with your dyno but , your money your Focus

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Finally had some time and the stage three cams went in and the motor is up and running. More cam breakin time on sat and then on the dyno. Cam adjustments and we get to see what they are worth. The noise is glorious

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ok so we are getting close to getting the stage 3 cams dialed in, how, of course with toms help and guidelines. Installed and the seat of the pants feel was wow, 3000-5500 amazing but the test lot was to small. So on the dyno, massive knock, lots of looking, no smoking gun but lots of double checking. Cams straight up ok numbers but the knock, started to advance the intake side and it was backwards. Lots of time for no improvement, well now let’s retard the intake side. Well hello power improvement. Tom as usual has been fine tuning the computer. We have some promise. I normally don’t post but getting oh so close to the magic 200hp, and showing 152 tq. This is all motor 2.0 liter. Tom built it, Tom tunes it, I stand on the throttle. We have exhaust cams to play with and the new cold air and another header. I think we will crack that number, but we still need to close the gap to the Honda’s. Not there yet but getting close.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well another tune, more directions from the tune master and one more cam adjustment. 202hp, 154tq. This is a 2.0 liter, stock intake, very custom header, stage 3 cams. We are up 18 hp and 4 tq. Lots of effort. Stage 3 cams react much more to cam adjustment then do the stage 2 units. New header will be tested next. Fine tuning on this performance with Tom. Maybe more to be had. I hope.

·
FF Affiliate
30,763 Posts
Congrats on breaking the 200HP to the wheels mark , I dont know if anyone else has done it with the low compression you have and all the stock parts , Intake manifold , Throttle body etc

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I never gave a race report from two weeks ago, first racing in the rain suck. Having fwd is better but going out on slicks and gettting caught in a light rain in cold air temps sucks. So we did three races, one with the ITA car as an enduro, seat time. We won but it was lucky as how the yellow flags fell and where we were. Still good.
STL car, qualify in the wet both days, sat we roll off in the rain on slicks started 7th, short story they either passed on racing and pulled in or spun off, lap 3 I am in 2nd, until last lap, 4 corners from the end, passed for 1st place, and then spun, blocking the track. 2nd place had no place to go and nailed the pass quarter, straighted us up and we chased him down for a .061 sec victory. First overall and the first time for that.
Sun qualified 2nd overall and blew away the pole sitter, three laps in the fastest car who started last (sat out qualifying) passed us. We passed him back but in the end he won by 2 sec. best part, 2018 we finished with a best time of 2:18.1
Best lap sun, 2:14.9. Nothing but tuning with tom and lots of time with a driving coach. His goal was 2:16, well we messed that up for the better. Thanks to Tom who continues to work with us on tuning his creation and listening to my crazy ideas.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Charlotte Motor Speedway, racing on the roval which is the same track the nascar teams run in oct. minus the chicane. It’s a major’s race within my series which is a must to participate in to qualify for the runoffs. So we completed the weekend and we qualified for the runoffs. Yeah.
Sat sprint had 23 cars, 9 Stl cars which for a majors run is smaller. We qualified 9th overall, 8 th in Stl. I sucked. Sat afternoon I qualified the ITA car faster than the STL car. Dam.
Sat sprint we made some changes but not big, small adjustments which made the car more comfortable. Had a great run and lap 2 we picked up the pace, qualifying with a 1:31. Ran 1:28 and started a major move up. Finished 2nd in class, 2nd overall. Thrilled as it was one of our best runs. Car was fast, comfortable, and allowed me to really toss it deep into every corner. Tapping the red line in 5 th gear was a first, but this is the gearbox built for VIr.
Sat night rain and under the lights on the high banks, crazy, light competition and we won our class, car just ran perfect.
Sunday we rolled out on the pole due to fastest lap on sat, but raining lightly and we used up the rains sat night, actually corded two. So we rolled out on intermediate Toyos. Well great until turn one and went from pole to oh almost dead last. They were not the right call. Then it stopped raining, oh I was the only one on a close to race tire, finished 2nd overall, needed 1/2 lap more and I coulda had it. Fun race weekend.
So Toms tune kicked butt, motors pulled to redline, ran perfect in constantly changing conditions and oh did I mention he built them both. Just perfect. And hitting the redline in fifth that sure speaks to a perfect build. Thanks Tom.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So prep begins for the runoffs, that takes place in Oct. pulled the motor and trans and off to Tom for a refresh and a set of new cams. Looking at everything motor and trans to prevent anything silly to interfere with a great effort at the runoffs. Prep has been the biggest part this year as we have had a mostly trouble free race season. The new hatch arrived, the lexan windows are being prepped and new data system hopefully will be operational and useful. Test weekend is in August so we may just take the 4 door for track time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Took the 4 door to the test weekend. Best weekend weather so far with no rain for a change. Went with a safe tune and finally fixed the vac leak, thanks Tom for finding that one. Car ran great an I love driving this car, slightly different suspension set up but allows easy comparisons to the Stl car. Motor and trans different. Well with the time spent this past year in the Stl car it was quite interesting as lots of different cars on track as it was an open track day, some slower classes and other production classes. We ran two sessions early and ran great, had some small electrical gremlins but cleared that up and sat in on some instructional sessions by a pro driver. Went back out and put a bunch of information back to use. Ran 2 sec faster than we ever did in this 4 door. 2:17.5 good enough for the pole in the last 6 ITA races. Dam where has this speed been all this time. Really pleased then the race car stuff started as we have but so much time in the other car, first the starter died, ok no big deal, then the check engine lights indicated a new issue and finally the heat of the day and the header finally cooked the alt put an end to the day. We finished with great info a new great lap setup and some terrific data. Test day this time really worth it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Ok well the fresher motor has arrived and we installed it this weekend. Some breaking time and an oil and filter change and hopefully this week on the dyno. Tom has spent untold hours developing a set of custom cams with Crower to our rules limit. 425 max lift, duration is open and away we go. New bearings, lifters and springs. Just for reference these cams are larger than stage 3 models in the Crower catalogue. Props to Scott at Crower who worked directly with us for the max improvement. Well she started on the first push of the button. Great oil pressure, water temp very controlled with our fans and typical oil temps. Looking forward to seeing what we get on the dyno under the direction of Tom as he is the builder of this piece. Just from the sound I am very encouraged. Will report later when we get done.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Fairly straight forward final drive swap with gearbox on the bench, the fifth gear was a euro piece I sourced direct from England which cost about 130$. You need both gears for the .85 piece. The ring of the 4.06 is a bolt in the gear stack moves from the original output shaft to the new one for the 4.06. Not for the backyard mechanics but done fairly easily if you have a big press and go slow. If you have the needed items we can assist, the shim set is the most important part of the set up

·
Registered
392 Posts
Buy a used 4.06, and press off you gears and press them onto your output shaft. Check the preloads, shim if necessary

·
Registered
336 Posts
Fairly straight forward final drive swap with gearbox on the bench, the fifth gear was a euro piece I sourced direct from England which cost about 130$. You need both gears for the .85 piece. The ring of the 4.06 is a bolt in the gear stack moves from the original output shaft to the new one for the 4.06. Not for the backyard mechanics but done fairly easily if you have a big press and go slow. If you have the needed items we can assist, the shim set is the most important part of the set up
Buy a used 4.06, and press off you gears and press them onto your output shaft. Check the preloads, shim if necessary
I only want to change the R&P, not 5th.
I've read where the Cougar 406 will only swap into early zetec 75's, not the duratec.
Where do I look for the right used 406 set? Or a new European set? Part numbers? Any leads would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Not available in Europe anymore, this has become the watch the internet for one to pop up, or if you can dine a whole trans with it that makes the deal even better

81 - 100 of 115 Posts