Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I was also disappointed with the choice but realized how much easier these are to work with purchase and source, sap set belong on show cars not my race car anymore. My wallet thanks me and the extra time is much appreciated. Besides only us focus nuts know the diffence.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
More time/money towards performance mods, tires, ect...

·
Registered
87 Posts
How the car do at Charlotte. Was there working grid. You had the ITA car in big bore and the STL car in small bore. Only stayed around Friday and went home Saturday.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So the ITA car we brought out to really ensure we fixed everything from the accident. It was an opportunity to test everything. So we lost the ps in both cars. Had the ITA car there 3 times and never had an issue. The STL car also lost the power steering. Blew fluid everywhere in both cars. So after hours of pondering everything the only item we think is different is the bumper. The ITA car had the sap front bumper. The lower opening was larger and the power steering lines were a little tweaked after the wreak. The new bumper shields the lines a little more. What brought it to our attention was the same failure in the STL car. Same bumper. The ITA car has a much better radiator duct work and lower area sealing and air direction. The STL car lost its lower spoiler air covering and splitter in the the first off of the test day. :)) oh well . So I drove both with failing power steering actually fighting me the entire time. So other than that the cars ran strong. I was able to pick up the new course very fast which was very unusual for me. I ran three sprint races and shared the night enduro with my buddy. So a little competition in the ITA race and finished 2nd as I started last again cause the f'ing transponder didn't work. Finished 2nd and was pleased. The STL car we kicked butt, finished 2nd in both races. A very well driven fast rx7 walked us on the high speed stuff but still pleased. The enduro we went out fast and rolled, set a lap record and in STL and finished first in class. Ps issues to be worked on. So I may actually go with 2.5 ps idler tensioner and close the rack and see if i eliminate the ps . Work is progressing in the parts collecting for the new 2.0 motor. Need 200 plus out of the new motor to be close. We will see.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok so we started the process of using the 2.5 ps tensioner. Well guess what 2.5 uses a small width belt. Standard 2.3-2.0 tensioner pulley makes the perfect swap and aligns initially where we need it, next to see we can find an easy swap belt. Will post up what works. The reason we are going to attemp to eliminate the ps set up as we had two failures. This is for the STL car, the ITA program we are going with a ps cooler larger than the factory two row unit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So we worked all day to remove and build a loop for the power steering at the rack. Capped the 2.3 system to do a quick test before we move forward with the new idler. Glad we did, with the ps over heating and puking fluid it was harder but driveable. With the rack not connected to the pump at all, it's completely un drivable. I know we don't have an option for a manual rack this is way to hard to manage. Yes the alignment is aggressive but wow it's so difficult to drive just in the parking lot, even with speed it's way to hard. Anybody run into an attemp to de power the ps setup. If not back to a pump replacement and cooler. Then we charged the battery as I left the ign system on and drained it. Charged and started, with a battery light on. Dam, another alternator. Nope actually did the smart thing and started to look at the simple stuff. Blew the big fusible link in the alternator wire harness that lives in the long black box that sits onto of the valve cover. Had no idea it lived in there. Dam. So got so little done with more work than I thought to play with.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Pump ordered today, wire harness cause the fuse is not a serviceable item and we wait for the stuff to arrive.

·
FF Affiliate
30,611 Posts
Look into a PS cooler and using a better PS fluid that takes the heat better

I would also flush the PS system good when you change the pump and add the better high temp fluids

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
New pump installed, new freshened head with stage two crower cams installed, waiting on the custom diff to arrive. Finishing up the cooler for the ps system and have the new fluid. Ran into an issue with our momo race wheel. We installed a quick release setup made by momo. One race weekend and lots of problems with the ps unit in turn required a lot of effort on the wheel. Well in checking everything turns out the quick release parts actually had started showing significant wear to the point that I am sending it back. Replaced with a sparco setup that we have on the other car. Not a drop of play and totally happy with the better feel. So packaging up the momo piece and looked carefully and it's not a momo piece. To be honest it was a gift from my son who asked and I said a momo quick release setup for the wheel. It's a knockoff that will be just thrown away. Check for imitation stuff sneaking in on eBay. Love the kid tried, I just gotta be very specific as to where to purchase my race gear.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Yea I would be too. Kinda leary of buying stuff from e-bay.

·
FF Affiliate
30,611 Posts
I buy a lot of parts off ebay , First requirement is there has to be a contact number or I move on
Most good companies have there number posted

There is a log of good low cost parts coming from China that work very well if not as good as the parts made in the US or by a big name company ,

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Good point of reference, thank tom. Ok so we plugged in and checked everything. Turned the motor over unit we had oil pressure. Battery charger needed as starter just didn't have it. Fires up and boy do we have issues. Exhaust leak is massive. Custom header doesn't like the standard brand new gasket. Shit where did I toss the old one. Ok found. Off comes the header on the new old gasket, header back on. Two burnt fingers, and up and down on the lift 4 times. Ok, fixed. Start and oh my lean, shut off. What is going on. Looking and oh hell this car still has the PVC setup and the hose connection to the intake manifold, yep it's off. So 15 mins and the starter comes out to get this hose. Done. Fires up and boy does it sound different compared to stock. OH I LOVE STAGE TWO CAM NOISES. Tom will be sending a data log, oh did I say how it sounds, dam. So I figured I did what the average tech does in 3-4 hours in just short of 9. Yep never been fast but now I have moved to just dam slow. But I loved it cause it doesn't talk back, cost as much as my kid and wife but doesn't talk back. Yep 9 hours well spent.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts