Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok so we spent the weekend repairing the damage of a very expensive weekend. One head with every valve bent, and another head that decided to drop a valve into my new motor, goodbye number 4 piston. So with both heads off to the machine shop time to examine the Pistons. Number four has to be replaced, the rest show just the smallest marks on the exhaust side. Emory file and lots of time and they all look better. The number four replaced and bottom end looks good. One head completely repaired by my machine shop. So the rest of the day we remeasured the piston to valve clearances. So much fun, but all look good and within the spec the machine shop wanted and the same as tom. So with the phone ringing to get my butt home I will do the final final final reassembly hopefully this weekend. Then we get to do the fun stuff, data log for tom to put the magic back in.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, update on both cars. New head put on the ITA car. The STL car had to have new brakes as the prior set were past usable for the speeds we see at VIR. Also had to spend 3 hours relocating the seat as what we thought was good just wouldn't work. Off to toms with two cars as I can't afford more screw ups on the motors. On the dyno with the STL car tom leaned out the tune, found almost 10 hp and 8 ft lbs of torque. So the problem car. The ITA car was showing massive amounts of knock anywhere over 3-5 k . What to do, new motor with problems since we fired it up. Lots of data logs and lots of conversation. So we start double checking everything including cam timing. Found exhaust slightly off, but we also replaced cam sensor, crank sensor, o2, injectors, and knock sensor. On the dyno, we had a clean bill of health on the first pull. Time to build power. After a ton of pulls and tom spending a complete day with my two projects, he found a safe place on the dyno, good power and tons of torque. Going to the track directly from his shop.
Race report. ITA car, qualified 3 rd, 10th overall out of 55. Best time for this car, 2:19:4 and I can't qualify for anything. Very pleased. In the race, 5 laps in turning 2:18:9 which I have never done we move to 1st. One lap later I brain fart and spin off. Fast corner and I miss my mark. Start dfl and work my way back to 7th but what a great time. Car runs great and I turned 18:7. Dam. Sun race great qualifier with a 2:19:2. 5 th in class. Have a killer start and get to 2nd with a little body damage from rubbing is racing. Three laps to go I make a crazy pass to go into first for about 100ft until I get punted off going into turn one. Back on track up to 3rd. Protest and moved to 2nd, great run and the motor pulls like a train.
STL car had good power and easily the best brakes I have had in a long time. Qualified on the pole and improved 2 sec from March. Toms power and torque. Quiet race we won and improved to 2:21.3. Really pleased. Sunday race good qualifer at 2:21:4. Both cars are really becoming easier to drive faster sooner. Great race with an intregra we finished 2nd only due to a full course yellow as we just past for first we went 2:20.3. So a great weekend but without toms help I never would have been able to improve as much and without any problems. Thanks to my buddy pat and to toms great tuning we improved both cars a ton and set personal bests after 6 years of running at VIR. Toms performance beginning to create lots of conversation at the track, miatas look out.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Ah, finally get a glimpse of the car(s) nice

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, but posting is due to my kid finally helping, see cause he just got his license and to get the keys to a car he has to help dad post stuff, gotta love the power of age has.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ITA flyer

So we took both cars to the track, a really careless it7 driver with no awareness decided to go left into me sending me off track into the tire wall backwards, launching me into the trees, landing on my roof. Upside down for 5 min until they decided to roll me onto four tires, so how much damage will be determined this week

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Ouch, thats not good.....bummer to see this.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,086 Posts
Not the SAP bumpers!!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I thought the teardown would be painful, nope wife came over to see what i was doing at the shop. See I told her we had a fender bender no big deal. She didn't think this looked like a little, now I really hurt. ��

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Best to tell her the truth/what happened, they're always going to find out sooner or later.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Ouch

Getting punted to cause lots of damage for absolutely no reason hurts. Worse than a personal screwup or a 'that's racing' incident.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Forgot to speak about the STL program. A majors race in Ohio left only a few local STL participants around. We put the car on the pole, new brake compound so much more initial bite which is confident inspiring for me. Anyway cmp is a tire shredding track. Two poles two first place finishes. I must also thank tom, we had a persistent shifting issue with the last tune. Two data logs at hours after most are asleep and then first thing on Sunday morning. Fixed, tom you saved the day again. Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is an in car from this weekend. The ITA car we were racing from the back due to a transponder no time issue. This is what follows, the STL car we sat on the pole sat and sun and won both. The video not so much.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,086 Posts
That was exciting to watch. At least the roll over wasn't at speed like I was thinking it was.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Man that was bad on that IT7 driver. I was not at this event but we have talked a few times at the CMP events, was a couple years ago. That sucks about the sedan, at least it looks fixable. Curious how that STL car will do at Indy. Going to keep up with this thread.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Sourced a lot of new stuff, fenders, doors, hood, trunk, grille, headlamps, tail lamps, roof skin, oh yeah a friggin roof skin, rear contro arms, stuff keeps showing up as needed. So screw it off to the body shop today. Let's get this party started. Then the doc tells me that the pain in the knee after the roll over did more to my knee than just aggravated it. New MRI Monday. Well at least it's at the body shop. Will be bringing the 2 liter and all the new stuff for the STL build down to tom soon. Indy is not going to happen, was never really on the radar. The fast STL guys at the baseline track of VIR are running oh so fast, turning 2:08's. So that's the target but we have a longer term goal. Indy is this year, not for me, Sonoma is 2018, but really good rumor is 2019 VIR. My home track, two years to build this car for its best and my home track. So there is the long term, and we are second in the points for the SIC, which is the southern Scca championship for regional races. The STL car is becoming really comfortable but having the ITA car allows double testing of many things allowing us to move faster in the STL development. Will keep posting

21 - 40 of 115 Posts