Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I thought i would start a thread on this new project. After much discussion and following an amazing thread on my friends build, tb1999 I was lucky enough to purchase this car. All the knowledge and effort in this car wasn't close to being shown in his build. So it's my goal to go the majors route in SCCA in STL. This is super touring light, or limited. Max displacement is 2.0. So multiple options, rules say any motor by the parent company. 2 liter zetec, Duratec, or Svt. No turbo or superchargers. My thought is Duratec as my ITA runs the 2.3. We have success with that and some problems but that happens. Tom is completing a 2.3 for the ITA car and then we move to a 2.0 motor build.
Why STL, because it allows a chance to go to the runoffs. For amateur racing in Scca the runoffs are the Super Bowl of racing. What's the goal, well 2017 is Indy, not a chance as time and work prevents it. 2018 is the west coast and that's to far, but 2019 it's east coast and three of my favorite tracks are front runners and that's the goal. Glass can be swapped, brakes are open if you can fit them in a 15" wheel, transmissions are open in regards to gears and final drives. Battery relocation allowed, aero as in wings and splitters allowed, light weight body panels allowed.

So I need help, in mounting a wing on a zx3 body on the roof or near it with support as the current setup is to far off the body within the rules set. 2.0 Duratec assistance, Tom is going to be the man in charge here, but I like to assist, so if you have parts needing a new home let me know, body panels let me know. Suspension ideas and parts let me know. Pics of cars with wings would be great. So this cars life continues and will continue here.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Great to see you take over where Tom left off......

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Saw STL and thought autocross, nope agree reading a bit this should be fun to watch. Anyone got a link for the old thread?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well lots of going thru boxes and boxes of stuff, the ordering begins so we can be on track for testing and general knowledge of what we got. First belts, seat as my butt isn't going to fit in the current one. Off came the steering wheel to fiqure out what style quick release we are going to use. The new fire surpression system has been certified and reinstalled. The big project was also started, the trans. Ok, so we have a mtx75 with a 4:06 and a quaife. With an available spare unit and a 4:25, we know that's to much gear with the tire profile we are planning on. The current package with the 4:06 and overdrive 5th while good, leaves some rpm on the table. So after much cross reference and home work. The .77 was good but the .85 will be better. My math says the 5th gear and the 4:06 gives a final of 3:01 and the .85 gives a 3:31. Doesn't sound like much but in 5th it prevents the motor from falling down as much where with the 4:25 it was just to much with the 15" tire package. So the trans was opened up and we pulled it apart. While in there we also did the shift tower pin to prevent the dreaded pin failure. So on goes the new fifth and I realize I only got the driven gear not the matching input shaft unit. Oh it matches up but it's actually 4 mm wider, preventing the two gear sets from being reinstalled. That's called being a dope. Part is nla but I have line on two at a dealer that specializes in this stuff. So trans sits apart until I get the needed gear. Duh yep I am a dope but soon this box will be ready to go in. First project almost done, maybe��

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Saw STL and thought autocross, nope agree reading a bit this should be fun to watch. Anyone got a link for the old thread?

Sent from my XT1575 using FF Mobile
Here's a picture thread, many others are around for build details:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/ford-focus-builds-general-showroom/220005-some-pics-race-car.html?highlight=tb1999+build+thread

And another on front suspension mods:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/233122-custom-front-suspension-roller-bearings-anti-dive-geometry.html?highlight=

And one for a Mazda Caliper Mod - big brake setup:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/brakes-suspension-body-chassis/223785-what-heck.html?highlight=

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks as that makes my reference for parts and history so much quicker. Amazing stuff the more u look and more I find.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so the USA supply of mtx 75 specific parts is left to the easy stuff. The .85 gear isn't here in the dealer network. But it's installed in the manual transmission installed in the cougar. So I find a low miles cougar trans, not easy and we tear it down, yep the 4:06 final like we knew it should have and no .85. It had the same .77 so I am stuck with a parts core from a cougar. So what to do. Ford of Europe. On line everything is possible, so I send a parts request to see if the part number is available. One day later a great email, part available, here is the part illustration and the U.K. Number. They have 10 in stock, multiple unit order gets a discount. Credit card in hand, please ship 2. That was 10 days after I started the search, they arrived today. This weekend the box gets put back together, the shifter tower repair done and now the 5th gear. The new seat arrived today and the car just came back from the paint shop. Was going to wrap it but that's not cheap, then I thought I would wrap it myself, but with materials and time which I have none that became a big no, especially after I saw how terrible I did with just the few pieces I did on the trailer. So I cut a deal with the local shop, all the removable items including the bumper off, I prepped the body and gave them car. Done, just got it back. Pics to follow but I love it. Same colors as my first car so we have a team theme and the pattern I copied cause I thought it looked outstanding.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
subbed. looking forward to what you do.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This weekend the parts to complete the trans were used. Everything fit perfect, and the trans is complete. Now we have a mtx 75, with a quaife, a 4:06 and .85 fifth gear. Install this week. Installed the new momo Daytona xl seat on the mounts, sits up higher than we would like but will run for a race weekend to see how we like the position and the new 6 point harness. Sounds like a lot done but the list keeps growing of what needs to be done and those things getting checked off happens much slower. But that's what makes a race car program fun I think.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weekend parts arrived, so the new aem a/f gauge going in, relocation of the battery will be done, the new rear wing arrived and measurements for the supports being done, rear hatch latches will be done, final measurements for the new graphics and the trans install. Actually all fluids being freshened drained or replaced, nut and bolt of the whole car and alignment and corner weighting going to done I hope. That way the other car can get its engine, :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sun night up date. New trans is in. This new trans has a quaife, 4:06 and a .85 fifth gear. No dual mass either. The rear hatch factory latch is now gone and we put simple straps to hold down, after we pulled the bumper and re worked some clearance issues 10 times:)) got the ITA car ready for the body shop and still have a million more things to get done.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok update as we raced the STL car for the first time this weekend. All new safety stuff installed, new seat, windshield, belts, fire system recharged, aligned and scaled. New a/f gauge to deliver the bad news. This box stock motor at wot is super lean, way to lean to safely run. So call Tom, he has tuned my other car for 5 years, built two motors has never seen this car. Hell we send him another data log. He says no way not to drive. He comes up with a plan to create a custom tune with one data log to see if we can continue. What he did was save my race weekend, blind with about ten minutes of questions he configured a base tune for this car that took it from un drivable at 5500rpm to run all the way thru 5 gears, with a safe a/f thru out the ref range at almost always full throttle. He did this on a sat morning, no prior notice and probably dropped everything for us. THANK YOU TOM. Oh how did we do, let's see down to the wire, we missed the the 5 min whisle and the one min whisle which means we get to start dead last. Did I say we qualified 7th, first in class out of 23. Now let's start last. So how did we do, well again the tune Tom created allowed the car to rev, and run safely, so in 10 laps we got to 6 place overall, first in class. All thanks to Tom. No other reason other than Toms expertise and willingness to assist at the drop of hat, he fixed it plan and simple. Thank you Tom.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Wow - so typical for a Race weekend, last minute prep & something for a problem.

EXCELLENT results, not surprised Tom could save ya once you got hold of him.

Took a little driving/experience to pull that out as well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So we ran the second race today, new wrinkle thrown at us. Race control changed the format. We go from 10 laps or 30 mins to just 30 mins and how ever many laps in the 30 mins. We plan for 10 laps, knowing the race doesn't take that long, average lap is 2:10-2:20 for this group. Half tank should be fine, oh it's 41degrees out so really should be no problem. Start of the race all good, small field and a new rx7 2nd gen STL car. In ITS it runs 2:16 at Vir, a good ITA car is 2:19 and this new car with a stock motor we turned 2:22 this weekend so we got our butts kicked but finished 2nd in the group. Anyway that's not the story, the new tune by Tom , thank you again was rich, 11:2-12 which is what I wanted for safety. Rich burns fuel. 1/2 tank should make 30 min. 20 mins in I am never going to make this 30 min. No chance to keep up with the rx7 so short shift, no 6500 shifts, how boring, the car stumbled coming out of the last turn on the checkered flag, almost had to idle around on the cool down lap. Crossed the scales 2584, 4 lbs over min. Had to push to the trailer the last 50 yards, lol. Finished the race weekend one car broken one still perfect, with toms help. Doing the math, 6.3 miles per gallon, yeah it's a focus at wot. :))

1 - 20 of 115 Posts