Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My last post on this issue was a while ago so I thought I should start a new thread. That thread is: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326245

To summarize. 2003 2.3L focus started seeing a rough idle that comes and goes, and sometimes it falls on its face for a bit coming off of idle. So far, I have replaced the fuel filter, hacked apart the stupid lifetime air filter and replaced with a cone filter, removed intake manifold and cleaned it, inspected tumbler flaps and replaced gaskets (while manifold was off I replaced the cruddy looking pcv hose and valve).

The issue seems to be getting worse and I cant tell if it has anything to do with the weather or what, but now the issue is actually causing a P0302 trouble code (cyl. 2 misfire). I decided to try swapping the cyl. 2 coil with another... that didnt help, code came back after a while.

I have checked all the vacuum lines that I can and have tried spraying propane and starter fluid... seemingly everywhere and cant get the idle to change.

Like I said, it is very hard to trace whats causing the issue because it is inconsistent.

The fact that I'm getting cyl. 2 misfires leads me to believe that i could have a bad cyl. 2 injector, or the evap purge valve seems to be dead, since it seems that the only place the purge valve runs to is the cyl. 2 intake runner, however if i pull the line from the purge valve to the cyl. 2 intake runner off, there is no change in idle....

When this first started happening, my initial thought was idle air control valve.... i was chased away from that idea from several people... could that actually be my problem? is there a way to test that theory?

Needless to say, I'm starting to lose my mind with this issue. Any and all suggestions welcome...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech. Chat, a better place for "problem" questions.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Trying a set of new Motorcraft plugs, and replacing the coil boots/connectors is a first step that's even on my own list for "one of these days" soon.

I might try the Autolite AR103 'copper" plugs reviewed here as providing slightly more performance (while needing regular replacement) when I do it.

"Good looking" plugs, even when not at the 'official" 100,000 mi. replacement mileage, have often proved less than optimum when judged by better operation after replacement.

Consistent enough reports, and something I've noted personally in the past, so I think it's out of the 'Urban Legend' category.

Other brands/types have mixed reviews, often performing worse than the Factory spec. or the Autolite alternatives.

Here's the "Sparkplug" stickie for more info.:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251453

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Sailor, I'll try swiching the cyl. 2 plug with another one to see if i still get a cyl. 2 misfire code.... I replaced the plugs about 40k ago with the Iridium Autolite plugs, so I'd expect them to still be good. I checked them recently and they all looked about the same and I re-gapped a few of them as they were ever so slightly off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im also still concerned about where the brake booster line goes into the intake manifold.... its not snug, and I would expect it should be, but im not sure. I messed with it again yesterday and it only seems to cough at idle when i pull it almost all the way out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The boots/connectors that come as a set wouldn't SEEM to be an item to cause trouble (spring coil & rubber boot), but they do seem to have a notable effect from reports here on similar issues.

Now that I've heard they're avail., so you DON'T need a new coil assy. to replace them, they're on the "tune up" list for replacement with the plugs when using the longer life plug type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts