Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever there is someone else in the car with me my tires scrap the wheels well. I only have 17" wheels. Without lowering the car anymore, is there anyway of getting a hold of some stronger springs or something to prevent this?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Not sure why you should be rubbing with the stock suspension. Do you have aftermarket wheels or wider than stock tires? The reason I ask is that wheel offset or wider tread width may be the culprit not necessarily the suspension. Most of the stiffer springs that are available will also lower it more....not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes my tires are definetly wider than stock. Well I guess I will just have to take it easy over dips in the road. Thanks for the quick response.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
really.. and it rubs.. thats weird.. one of my buddies has the exact same car that you do... and whenever we ride in his car.. there are absolutely no problems at all.. except for when i have to get out of his, and back into mine...

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Dussin said:
That's the stock width.
Exactly what size tires are they?
215/45/17? Look on the sidewall, and tell us the number.

Wheels:
Stock? Or aftermarket?
If aftermarket, what brand/model/size/offset??

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
I run 215/40/17's and not any were near rubbing, even on track. i also have the svt suspension. you must have a taller side wall or funny offset.

·
Registered
613 Posts
wasn't there a problem with front end componets coming loose
and causing similiar problems for someone else on this forum?
it was a ford "silent recall" I believe, doesn't get fixed less you bicth

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it used, and the guy accidently hit a curb on an icy road. The front right suspension had to be rebuilt. That is were I hear it rub, especially when someone else is in the car with me. I have measured the distance between the wheel well and tire on both side and the right side seemed to be lower, but I don't know if that was do to the car sitting unlevel.
Wheels K-Tech Racing 17"
Tires Toyo Proxy4 215/45/17

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Wheels K-Tech Racing 17"
More than likely, that's the culprit.
I'm betting 40-42mm offset, which puts the outside of the tire too close to the fender.
If you get a chance, pull one of the wheels off, and look at the backside.
Find either "E" or "ET" followed by a number.
Example:
ET-42 will mean 42mm offset.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they cheap wheels? They came with the car when I bought it. He sold the european ones that came with it.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Actually, I haven't heard of them, so I can't comment either way on the quality.
But, more often than not, aftermarket wheels have too low of an offset, causing....rubbing.
That's where I was coming from on the wheels comment.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't even find them on the internet so they must be cheaper. The guy I bought it from said that they made a big difference in braking, becuase they are lightweight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts