Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my seat into my dads friends upholstery shop yesterday, because my seat was flat on both sides. $170 later I have what feels like a racing seat! So awesome going around corners and not flying out of my seat now!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415989267.717325.jpg

·
It's just a Focus.
5,258 Posts
Not that bad cost wise either. It looks like a whole new seat!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Did they also weld up the frame too? Thats what I had to do w/ all the creaking going on a few yrs ago. Looks like they added thicker foam boasters from another seat style.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
No clue haha
If you pull off the seat covers & the foam padding & look at the seat frame, then you'd see how the welds are. My seat back started to creak at different time a couple yrs ago, so I removed the covers & foam to see & wow, the seat back at the top needed a few beeds. So I welded up the braces & gussets. Just threw on a few beads & good to go.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
The metal in the seat backs is too thin and commonly cracks around the OEM welds. Worse because one side of back is positively anchored and the other side not. That way every time you lean against seat back it is working one corner against the other to break welds. Commonly the foam insert cracks loose along the bolster inner edge and while seat apart you can use like 3M weatherstrip to glue the tear back together to get the high bolster again like OEM part and total cost of a tube of 3M. BTDT. My seat was flat on both sides as well but not anymore. The bolster foam tears loose to rotate around the side of the seat back.

My seat back had far too many cracks and metal breaking to reweld. After cutting up maybe 20 seat backs at the yard to find all broken almost as bad I found one that only had two small cracks and reworked, rebraced that one to make it much stronger. I spent maybe $30 on seat back, welding and materials to do the braces.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The metal in the seat backs is too thin and commonly cracks around the OEM welds. Worse because one side of back is positively anchored and the other side not. That way every time you lean against seat back it is working one corner against the other to break welds. Commonly the foam insert cracks loose along the bolster inner edge and while seat apart you can use like 3M weatherstrip to glue the tear back together to get the high bolster again like OEM part and total cost of a tube of 3M. BTDT. My seat was flat on both sides as well but not anymore. The bolster foam tears loose to rotate around the side of the seat back.

Mt seat back had far too many cracks and metal breaking to reweld. After cutting up maybe 20 seat backs at the yard to find all broken almost as bad I found one that only had two small cracks and reworked, rebraced that one to make it much stronger. I spent maybe $30 on seat back, welding and materials to do the braces.
This^^^^^^^^[thumb]

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Wonder if they welded in any support bars for the bolsters? if not, expect them to rip again..

early zx3's/ SVTs had extra bars to hold the bolster foam. I believe they did away with that on the 05 redesign so thats why you see so many with ripped foam.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks good, I think I might need to go this route as well as I was wondering what to do since my drivers seat on mine is flat as well.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Looks good, I think I might need to go this route as well as I was wondering what to do since my drivers seat on mine is flat as well.
Where is your seat flat? bottom or back?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The "flat" seat thing is why I swapped mine, if anybody wants the old ones and can get them moved just message me, I got pictures of them they are currently on Craig's list as sucker bait LOL

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The "flat" seat thing is why I swapped mine, if anybody wants the old ones and can get them moved just message me, I got pictures of them they are currently on Craig's list as sucker bait LOL
Oh, I see what your rolling now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where is your seat flat? bottom or back?
It's flat on the back. the right side of the drivers seat isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. Aad the left side is completely flat. I find my elbow on the door panel holding myself into place sometimes. I move around way too much in it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh, I see what your rolling now.
Not "rollin" anything they are in my shop taking up space and if somebody on craigs list wants to pay me to haul them to town so be it, is better than the landfill. If somebody from here wants them the price would be zero, just have them in rural Oklahoma and logistics would be a problem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts