Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the urge to bore out my TB this weekend. After I was finished I cleaned it up to get all of the shavings out. Now it sticks when I hit the gas. Just the initial "push" on the pedal. I double checked everything to ensure the inside of the TB was smooth and the butterfly had cleareance. No vacuum leaks either. So I'm thinking maybe there is a certain grease or lube that goes in there so it doesn't stick.....idk

If so can someone let me know what it is? Thanks guys...

Oh the car revs a bit quicker now. I think Imma save up and get the CFM 67mm TB. It is also a bit louder when I hit the gas and the air is bieng sucked in. Kinda like a CAI but better.[clap]

[cheers] I love my SVT[cheers]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
its pretty easy, but ya, you are gonna wanna lube up the tb before reassembling it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TB was quite easy to bore out. I could have had it done on the first day, but I drug it out all weekend...lol. The only problem I ran into was trying to re-connect the factory hose clamp....I'm just gonna go buy a new one.

What kind of lube and where exactly does it go on the TB?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I Had my aftermarket TB do something similar, all i have to do what clean it really good as the butterfly would get stuck to the gunk in the TB. But yours is obviously clean there so u need some lube. I have no idea what kind though

·
Registered
136 Posts
K-Y warming gel...

lol sorry couldn't resist.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
LOL. Have you checked your throttle position sensor (TPS)? Maybe you damaged it when you took off your throttle body and bored it.

Mine just went bad and while I had mine out, I was thinking of boring mine as well since I had it out. What did you use, a dremel? That might be a fun little weekend project [thumb].

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ It was a great weekend project. I used a dremmel to cut, sand and smooth everything out. I bought some cheap wal-mart epoxy. It works great. I double tapped the TPS lastnight. It was ok. I tried to move it foward a bit just to be sure, but it seems to be rusted just enough that I cant turn it with the TB on the car. So I took a cue-tip and put just a little bit of WD40 on there and went around the edges of the butterfly and also any moving parts. It works fine now.

I had a nice little drive today at WOT (in an undisclosed location). I have tom's tune so when I hit 5400 RPM and the manifold opened up it sounded completely different than before I bored the TB. It is a very nice humm. It also revs a lot quicker.

On a scale of 1-10 on the butt-dyno/fun-o-meter this mod is a whopping wooooooooooo-hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....;)

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Just curious though. The damper did look kinda thick and seemed that maybe a thinner piece of aluminum would replace it if that would also allow more air to flow in then just boring it out alone. I'm thinking I might just do that this weekend. We are having a canyon this weekend so that might help out a little bit [woot]

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you get, say, the 67mm cfm TB, do you have to get either a CAI or SRI or can you use the stock intake tube? I wouldn't mind getting the bigger TB but I dont want the heat soak of a SRI and there is considerable ponding of water around my place of employment so im not really interested in a CAI.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
If you get, say, the 67mm cfm TB, do you have to get either a CAI or SRI or can you use the stock intake tube? I wouldn't mind getting the bigger TB but I dont want the heat soak of a SRI and there is considerable ponding of water around my place of employment so im not really interested in a CAI.
you can use your stock intake with the bigger tb just make sure you get it over the tb all the way and get another clamp to hold it down/

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
^^i think when he ported it he cleaned the butterfly i know it has something on it so it wont stick

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Mine hasn't been sticking, yet.... uh oh...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No you dont need a CAI. The svt intake is great! Just throw a K&N drop in filter and you will be G2G!
If you look through the C-F-M website they sell the adapter hose w/clamps so you don't have to try to squeeze anything on there. link below

Throttle Body (on sale)
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=83

Transition Hose
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1118

Clamp
http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=612

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah I cleaned off the grease. A small (and I do mean small) touch of WD40 took care of it for now...until I figure out what type of grease to put back on it....
Anybody know?

·
Registered
240 Posts
ive had the same problem but wd 40 will be temp only man it will dry up in days. what i did i took the tb out and push the tb butterfly back like trying to close it.it does this because of the rough edges around the butterfly so by pushing it back further it kinda smoothes the edges around it and the way it turn out that it dont stick no more and smooth ecceleration. try this and push it back untill you feel it when u open it with your hands. this might help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts