Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now before someone redirects to me to a thread about sticking throttle I don't think this is the normal issue. And this all just happened the other day seemingly out of nowhere.

It's cold out and my throttle has been sticking, but occasionally when in neutral my revs will hang right around 3-3100rpm and I can feel it pulling the car at low speeds. Now I first thought TPS but mines gone out before and it was a constant revving not occasionally like this. I also noticed that when the revs are hanging like that, my throttle body doesn't stick at all. And it will suddenly stop and then the throttle has the normal stick.

What I'm thinking is maybe the build up is getting so bad it's not allowing the butterfly to come completely closed all the time? It's warm but pretty crappy out and I don't have any tools at my house or I'd tear into it. Does this sound feasable to any one else or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick [cheers]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I figured it is a sticking throttle issue. After looking in the how to archive, I either missed or couldn't find anything on how to clean the TB. What's best to use? Do I need to completely remove the TB?

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
Did you figure this out? I put a BBK 66mm throtte body on and it revs normal but sometimes it's sticking. If I goose the gas pedal the RPMs will drop as normal. I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not but it sure sounds like it.

Also do you notice you are constantly in boost 4-5 lbs with the new throttle body?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I did, just fixed it today. Just take off your intake and I used some carb cleaner and a toothbrush. There was a ton of built up gunk that was catching the butterfly. Cleaned it out with the brush and cleaner, wiped clean with a rag and it's good as new. Took me longer to ride my road bike to the parts store than it did to remedy the problem.[thumb]

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
Yea I did, just fixed it today. Just take off your intake and I used some carb cleaner and a toothbrush. There was a ton of built up gunk that was catching the butterfly. Cleaned it out with the brush and cleaner, wiped clean with a rag and it's good as new. Took me longer to ride my road bike to the parts store than it did to remedy the problem.[thumb]
Hmm mines brand new...I must have a small air leak.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm mines brand new...I must have a small air leak.
Hmmm that's odd. I have heard of other people having the sticking issue with new TB's. Something about putting a small felt pad on the screw stop on your TB. I've never had the problem but it's worth a shot right?

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
Hmmm that's odd. I have heard of other people having the sticking issue with new TB's. Something about putting a small felt pad on the screw stop on your TB. I've never had the problem but it's worth a shot right?
I got it fixed. The cruise control cable was binding not allowing the throttle body to snap back to it's normal position.

It's running really strong now.

SVT_BMXer, you need to do away with the PCV valve recirculating that horrible oil mist/fuel back into your intake manifold. Then your throttle body won't get clogged up anymore. All that crap does is create more headaches, I have mine dump into an oil catch can/filter and then exit to the atmosphere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts