Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first, the passenger door on my ZX3 was getting tough to open. My friends would think the door is still locked, when all they had to do was pull harder to open it. I'm getting annoyed with telling everyone to pull hard on the handle to open the door. Now the driver's door is starting to do the same thing. How do I lube the door opening mechanism? I would assume I'd have to remove the door panels to accomplish this.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
mine is doing it to but ill learn to live with it. there has to be something we can use

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
White lithium spray grease is your friend.

Lube the latch, and the hook. I did mine a long time ago when some of the older Foci were reporting this problem. I don't have that problem, and I have over 70k on this car. Close and open the door after the first application, then apply it again to be sure that you have enough grease in the right spots.

Do not use WD-40 unless you want your doors to lock up permanently. This type of spray lube will thin the factory grease.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't know about this......both my front doors act about the same. The outside handles and the inside handles on the front doors seem to require excessive force to operate. Frankly I don't think it's a lube problem....since I had the driver front door apart, and lubed all the linkage, and the latch mechanism with silicon spray grease. Didn't make a scrap of difference.

Since both the inner and outer handles are hard to pull, I tend to think it's a latch problem alone.......maybe something inherent in the design, or something specific to a certain batch of latches. Tell you what.....if it is in the latch, it could be serious. If the linkage pops off or breaks because of the excessive force being used.....you're in a world of trouble. You won't be able to open the door, and you won't be able to remove the inner door trim panel with the door closed, to even get to the latch.

That possibly means cutting up your very expensive trim panel.....bad deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my car, it seems the outside door handles require more effort than the interior door handles, which makes me think it's an opening mechanism problem; a sticky cable or something like that. I think I'm going to remove both door panels and spray everything with grease and see what happens. The problem has gotten worse over time, which also makes me believe it's grease hardening or something like that.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well....since the door handles on my rear doors (ZX5) all seem normal and easier to pull open, you'd think the grease back there would be the same as the front doors. I'll go for a latch problem other than grease. I wonder if there's any TSBs on this issue.....haven't seen any.

·
Registered
917 Posts
WD-40 worked for me. I sprayed some into the latch area inside the door jamb. No need to remove anything. It works great now.

If it gets bad again, then more WD-40 to the rescue. Or maybe WD-40 to clean things, followed up with spray grease afterwards. WD-40 is a great cleaner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts