Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

have a problem with front brakes sticking on from time to time,
which is also making rear brake lights stay on .
if i lift the peddle up then they release,
been to ford garage to ask if there has been a recall on
this prob but got told no,but have since been told by a couple
of people that there has.
so before i pay money out to get them fixed can anyone tell me for
certain that there has been a recall,thanks for looking.

[pray] [pray]

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Go to http://www.alldata.com and you can find a list of recalls for your vehicle. The list of recalls and title is free, if you want the contents, you must subscribe. This is only for the U.S. models, so I am not sure if it applies, since European models often get better brakes. I'm assuming you are in the U.K., is that correct?

Your best bet might be a google search for a UK site similar to alldata.com, or a UK focus board, as you really need to get UK-specific information.

·
Registered
549 Posts
brake calipers sticking wont cause your brake lights to stay on, that would be from a sticking pedal or faulty brake light switch, is it your pedal hanging up, or are you hearing your pads drag??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your replies,

where i live ,the car is parked on a slite hill,
so when ive released the handbrake, now and again it wont move,
until i lift foot pedal up then the brakes release,and it coincides with brake lights
staying onnow and again,so it seems as if foot pedal is not returning all the way.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The light is actuated by hand brake handle position, not the pedal position or what the brake pads/shoes are doing. If you release the hand brake and the lite stays on and brakes hold, then suddenly unlock, seems that the hand brake cable is binding or the hand brake mechanism is binding, and the car movement pushes the shoes, resulting in the released shoes pulling the cable back into the drum.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"have a problem with front brakes sticking on from time to time"

How do you know it is the front brakes and not the rear that are sticking?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts