Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to hook up an aftermarket amp and subs to the stock 6 cd unit, and how can it be done if possible? Please help.................................Bass Deprived [8]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
you need a LOC first of all. read http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6806 for that.

then you also need a wiring kit for the amp obviously, www.knukonceptz.com or walmart can do fine for that. other than that you need wire crimpers, wire stripers, wire cutters, electrical tape, screwdriver, and a drill and bit. from there you need to run the power wire throguh the firewall by drilling a hole through it, do this carefully, make sure you know where your drilling is safe from other objects, i drilled right where the shaft for the steering wheel goes through the firewall on the rim of that plastic guard, a gromet to protect the wire would probably be a good idea too, then you need to get the ground for the amp, find a good metal spot and sand it so it's bare and then drill a small hole smaller than the screws threads and then screw it in with the wire as tight as possible. that's mostly everything that you need to know that i can think of. any questions?

- Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanx alot man your links really helped me out. I know how to hook up my amp and all I just didn't know about the LOC's that alow you to hook it up to a stock unit. So all you have to do is hook this LOC to the right and left channel outputs? I thought the N-85 from David Navone looked like it would be a good selection, would you recomend this?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
that would work just fine. the bass boost may be nice to have also but don't use the amps bassboost and don't up the bass on the hu becasue you really shouldn't have any bass boost on anyway, it just adds disortion to the signal and can damage your sub(s). but david navone stuff is pretty well designed for clarity, a little boost should be ok.

- Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to ask.... when I hook up the loc, do I hook it up to the rear speaker outputs, and will this eliminate or split up the signal to my back speakers? Also, what can I do for an amp turn on, normally you would use the power antenna cord on an aftermarket hu, but what can I use instead since I am hooking up to stock? please help......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot man. You really seem to know your stuff. I hooked the loc and rca's and amp remote up last night. gonna run my positive battery feed and ground tonight, so i should be completely systemed by tommorrow. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
838 Posts
good advice sa_pyro_ne wire is wire no matter what brand. Forums like this usually only know about monster cable and big brands like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts