Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a '14 Transit Connect with all the symptoms previously mentioned. The only cause I can think of is that I have been running the heat lately (-20F last night - Hello NE winter), the dash where the radio is located gets really hot.

I pulled the radio today, all parts. I inspected everything down to board level. Looked good with the naked eye.

Reassembled. Everything appeared to be working for a while then BANG, POP!! Scared the crap out of me.

I will take apart again tonight and see if I can find a poor solder point...
I've been pulling the main power connector to stop the popping (larger drivers side connector into box) and reconnecting it a day later, it might work for 1-3 days after this before acting up again. I keep the cover piece with the 2 screws out so I can access it easily BTW. Anyway, it's been bitterly cold up here in the northeast, yet the silver box was burn my hand hot when I pulled it immediately after it started acting up again. Compared to normal when heat is on and unit is unplugged where I can touch it and it's barely warm from air that leaks from heater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here!

I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta and am having the same issues. First trouble with my transmission...it's apparently normal for it to feel like it is going to stall?? Now my stereo. Same popping and crackling. I haven't taken it in, because the last time I did I walked away with a $1400 bill. It is frustrating though. Has anyone gotten a good fix? It sounds like the only option, aside from replacing the entire vehicle, is to replace the stereo itself? Am I understanding that correctly? Mine has over 120,000 miles on it and I really don't want to replace it until I have to. As of now, with the exception of the radio and the skiddish transmission (that isn't a problem), it is working fine. I'm trying to hold out for a few more months, but it is killing my ears. For a while I was able to drive it several miles before it would go out and then turn it off and then on and it worked fine. Now, I'm lucky if I make it out of my driveway and it goes out. I've started just using a portable speaker with my cell phone, but it is ridiculous to have to do so.

I was hoping someone might have found a cure. Anyone?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta and am having the same issues. First trouble with my transmission...it's apparently normal for it to feel like it is going to stall?? Now my stereo. Same popping and crackling. I haven't taken it in, because the last time I did I walked away with a $1400 bill. It is frustrating though. Has anyone gotten a good fix? It sounds like the only option, aside from replacing the entire vehicle, is to replace the stereo itself? Am I understanding that correctly? Mine has over 120,000 miles on it and I really don't want to replace it until I have to. As of now, with the exception of the radio and the skiddish transmission (that isn't a problem), it is working fine. I'm trying to hold out for a few more months, but it is killing my ears. For a while I was able to drive it several miles before it would go out and then turn it off and then on and it worked fine. Now, I'm lucky if I make it out of my driveway and it goes out. I've started just using a portable speaker with my cell phone, but it is ridiculous to have to do so.

I was hoping someone might have found a cure. Anyone?
See the sticky at the top of this page. I posted a video on removing the ACM and it is an easy fix if you can pick up a used one at the junkyard or on eBay.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a '14 Transit Connect with all the symptoms previously mentioned. The only cause I can think of is that I have been running the heat lately (-20F last night - Hello NE winter), the dash where the radio is located gets really hot.

I pulled the radio today, all parts. I inspected everything down to board level. Looked good with the naked eye.

Reassembled. Everything appeared to be working for a while then BANG, POP!! Scared the crap out of me.

I will take apart again tonight and see if I can find a poor solder point...
I pulled the board on my bad unit after replacing it just to see if I could see anything obvious but couldn't find anything. There are a lot of tiny surface mount components so it could be hard to pinpoint the culprit. I haven't found anything online indicating what typically goes on these boards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've also have the same problem with my 2012 Ford focus SFE which we thought stood for Super Fine Edition, but we change the middle word after the tranny issues. Loud pop, scares the hell out of everyone in the car, then I have to shut the car off and turn it back on and the speakers work again. ��

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta and it just started doing this. The car is off and you can hear it inside my living room. MY neighbors on each side of me have informed me that they can hear it as well. They were worried I left my key in the ignition. Everything in the car is factory. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any resolution to this? I am so lucky to be driving this pile of junk and it is a leased car that my employer pays for, because now I know that I will never buy a Ford and I make sure to tell everyone I know what garbage these cars are. History:

- failed valve somewhere in the fuel delivery system resulted in the fuel tank getting bent out of shape and collapsing on itself since the pressure getting pulled out of it was too much
- passenger window stopped working
- transmission failed and got replaced
- ghost stereo torture sounds even when it's off
- recall on door handles, apparently your door could open on its own while you driving

Who makes these cars? Monkeys? Ford will soon be history at this pace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Group, I have a 2012 Ford Focus that has also been having this issue. It has escalted over the period of 8 months from a minor inconvenience to correct the stereo by restarting the car, to what I consider a full on safety issue where full volume stereo feedback occurs unpredictably while your stereo is turned off and the volume set to 0. After many visits to several dealerships, I was consistently informed that a) they had never heard of this issue and b) the only way to start to fix it was to spend $100 to diagnose but I needed to bring my vehicle in while the problem was occurring and during hours when the audio tech worked (i.e., 9 to 5, mon to fri) - which is SUPER convenient for most working folk. At NO point was it suggested to me, at least for safety and comfort of driving, to disconnect my stereo while this was better researched. The whole experience has been incredibly frustrating and left me in tears at more than one dealership after basically being told I was making this up and they couldn't help me.

I thought I would contribute my experience in the resolution, since I haven't seen much of that posted. After reading through a few blogs, it does appear the issue is with the stereo and not wires or speakers. Ford will install (and will tell you at your cost) a refurbished stereo that will have a 2 year warranty. This is essentially a stereo that has likely already had this problem, has been removed from a vehicle, and sent to a 3rd party repair shop to "fix" and be reinstalled in the next sucker's car. The alternative is to upgrade to another type of stereo, but I was told the Sync will have limited functionality after that. There are workarounds for Bluetooth, but it won't be as seamless. And it will be your own expense, and likely more expensive than replacing with a Ford stereo.

That all said, after I directed my dealership (Coastal Ford in Burnaby, BC) to the MANY YouTube videos that exist on this issue, they started to look in more detail. We agreed the most "educated guess" (their words) was to replace the stereo in hopes it would fix issue - they even know, don't know for sure where in the system the malfunction is occurring. After MUCH insistence on my side, they agreed to pay 25% and Ford Company (corporate) 25%, and I was on the hook for the rest. About $200. I say this in hopes that it sets precedent for others facing this issue and you can argue better coverage of this issue. In my mind, given the number of vehicles it affects, and the potential for this to cause a serious crash - it should be considered a safety issue that warrants a recall, and customers should not be on the hook for repairs. I am following up with Ford Company to say the same. In the meantime, my dealership did say that the corporation had posted some direction on this issue and potential repair options - which only happens at the corporate level when it is a persistent enough issue that is commonly reported.

Refurbished stereo seems to be working well so far, so for those of you in the same boat, I wish you luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi Group, I have a 2012 Ford Focus that has also been having this issue. It has escalted over the period of 8 months from a minor inconvenience to correct the stereo by restarting the car, to what I consider a full on safety issue where full volume stereo feedback occurs unpredictably while your stereo is turned off and the volume set to 0. After many visits to several dealerships, I was consistently informed that a) they had never heard of this issue and b) the only way to start to fix it was to spend $100 to diagnose but I needed to bring my vehicle in while the problem was occurring and during hours when the audio tech worked (i.e., 9 to 5, mon to fri) - which is SUPER convenient for most working folk. At NO point was it suggested to me, at least for safety and comfort of driving, to disconnect my stereo while this was better researched. The whole experience has been incredibly frustrating and left me in tears at more than one dealership after basically being told I was making this up and they couldn't help me.

I thought I would contribute my experience in the resolution, since I haven't seen much of that posted. After reading through a few blogs, it does appear the issue is with the stereo and not wires or speakers. Ford will install (and will tell you at your cost) a refurbished stereo that will have a 2 year warranty. This is essentially a stereo that has likely already had this problem, has been removed from a vehicle, and sent to a 3rd party repair shop to "fix" and be reinstalled in the next sucker's car. The alternative is to upgrade to another type of stereo, but I was told the Sync will have limited functionality after that. There are workarounds for Bluetooth, but it won't be as seamless. And it will be your own expense, and likely more expensive than replacing with a Ford stereo.

That all said, after I directed my dealership (Coastal Ford in Burnaby, BC) to the MANY YouTube videos that exist on this issue, they started to look in more detail. We agreed the most "educated guess" (their words) was to replace the stereo in hopes it would fix issue - they even know, don't know for sure where in the system the malfunction is occurring. After MUCH insistence on my side, they agreed to pay 25% and Ford Company (corporate) 25%, and I was on the hook for the rest. About $200. I say this in hopes that it sets precedent for others facing this issue and you can argue better coverage of this issue. In my mind, given the number of vehicles it affects, and the potential for this to cause a serious crash - it should be considered a safety issue that warrants a recall, and customers should not be on the hook for repairs. I am following up with Ford Company to say the same. In the meantime, my dealership did say that the corporation had posted some direction on this issue and potential repair options - which only happens at the corporate level when it is a persistent enough issue that is commonly reported.

Refurbished stereo seems to be working well so far, so for those of you in the same boat, I wish you luck and hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to share your story. If a refurbished unit were being offered to me, I'd just assume go to a junk yard or eBay and buy one for 1/5 the price. In my opinion they both have about the same chance of the same problem happening again.

In reality, I went the aftermarket route. Ditched the Ford stereo altogether and bought something with twice the features and isn't going to fail on me 18 months from now. Yeah it was a little more money all said and done, but worth it once in the situation those buttfaces at Ford put us in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SAME. Exact. Problem. 2015 Ford Focus, 77K just started the speaker popping/static...which scares the bejesus out of me... about two weeks ago and now it started the loud popping and static while car was turned off. Going to dealer tomorrow, wish me luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Ford Focus Hatchback - same problem

so I've been reading this string and hoping to find a definitive fix to this issue. Same experiences everyone has described. Progressively got worse - from a once in awhile pop/crackle to intermittent loud static that scares the heck out of you when driving. And no radio/Bluetooth works at all. So on the ride to work today I call the local ford dealership to set up an appointment, and he can here it over the phone. So I take it in Thursday morning to see what they say. And get this - I hang up the phone and for the heck of it turn the radio on, and just like that it was working. had not worked in weeks. oh well, we'll take her in Thursday and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
so I've been reading this string and hoping to find a definitive fix to this issue. Same experiences everyone has described. Progressively got worse - from a once in awhile pop/crackle to intermittent loud static that scares the heck out of you when driving. And no radio/Bluetooth works at all. So on the ride to work today I call the local ford dealership to set up an appointment, and he can here it over the phone. So I take it in Thursday morning to see what they say. And get this - I hang up the phone and for the heck of it turn the radio on, and just like that it was working. had not worked in weeks. oh well, we'll take her in Thursday and see what happens.
Good luck.

Not trying to be a jerk, but expect a $1000+ quote for replacement. Start thinking about plan B. Maestro dash kit, Maestro RR and FO2 harness, any decent touchscreen you want. You'll be ~$600 in and have many huge features your original head unit didn't have. That, or snag some used OEM parts online for cheap. Cheap and plug and play. But you'll have the same problem eventually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks firebirdude - I like the sounds of Plan B if I was going to keep the car longer term, may just explore the OEM parts. You wouldn't happen to know what i'd need (i'm not a car guy so bear with me). And I didn't think you were coming across as a jerk at all. Just want to get rid of this annoying issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any luck at the dealer? I have a 2013 SE - random pop- and now random crackling. I’ve read to pull the fuse, from what I’ve read its no. 79 but that is also for door lock switch according to the manual. Has anyone pulled the fuse and did it help? But what happens to the locks? Or did the dealer have a fix? Thanks! Got a quote from sound shop for aftermarket: about $900: radio/module/kit to fit it/ etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sames ford radio issues

I will never buy a ford again!! They have ruined my experience forever! If it isn't the gas fuel issue or the transmission issue it's a radio issue smh!!! Fix this ford or you'll lose a lot of money !!!!![:(!]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m not a trained mechanic, but I’m a pretty good farm fixer after a life time of living on a farm.

The problem is happening because the Sync module shorted out in the radio. There is one wire harness that somehow connects the radio and the transmission control module to the headunit. The short in the radio affected my transmission control module as well as the head unit.

I took the radio clean out of the vehicle. I can’t pull the fuse because then the trunk lock pops open my trunk when I’m driving down the road.

I replaced the transmission control module for $90, paid $127 for Ford to re-program it and now I’ve got a decent daily driver with no radio. ?‍♂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello folks,
New user here. I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. My details:
-2015 Transit Connect Wagon
-Cackling happens when radio off or on.
-Ridiculously loud so that it scares my wife and kids.
-Even when radio is working it is slow to turn on.
-I have the interface with tons of buttons that looks like this: ://s3.amazonaws.com/cn-static/si/sw1280/10321/10321_st1280_057.
(add HTTP at beginning and jpeg at end to see picture)

My questions are as follows. Sorry in advanced if they were mentioned before and I missed it.
1-Which fuse should I pull to go silent?
2-Is there an affordable basic model of stereo I can install in it's place? I'm fine installing myself and don't give a whit about sync connectivity but it would be nice to still be able to use my backup camera.

·
Registered
11 Posts
An addendum to the above.
I found the fuse diagram and as has been mentioned on this thread it also affects doors and hazards. To which I say...
"WHY FORD WHY?! Why the #$%^ would you put an audio system on the same fuse as essential safety and functions?"
...but I digress.

Two more questions
-Is there a way to simply unhook the speakers?
-Has anyone pulled Fuse 79 and still had their doors function?
Thanks in advance!

I must say also that while I do plan to keep this vehicle for a long time, I would certainly think twice (and do a bit of research) about this issue when condidering a Ford in the future. This experience is already so ridiculously unpleasant that if there was even an inkling that this was an issue or that the same devices were on the same fuse, I'd take that car right off my consideration list.

I will not own a car that chooses to periodically yell at me.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sorry eilif, but I don't have much of an answer for you.

First, you can pull the head unit from the dash and unplug it. The hazards and such should remain working.

Second, a scrap yard or eBay is your cheapest solution. Obviously buying a new factory head unit isn't cheap. And installing an aftermarket head unit requires some pricey parts (~$225 in parts).

61 - 80 of 123 Posts