Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i don't know if this will last long here but maybe...

So here is the problem, I have a Kenwood HU and i want to hook it up in my room. The only thing i don't know is the power supply. I don't want a car battery sitting in my room so is there any other way. I know it has to be possible so if anybody can help it would be great.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i like the looks and functionality of car stereos better. Also they are much less expensive and it's unique. I just think it would be really cool.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
hmmm im not really sure about this. i know u could just hook the power wire to some power to make it turn on and then wire the speaker wires to whatever speakers u have. just not sure about this one

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
just simply get an AC adapter with a 12v/1amp output. radioshack comes to mind. take the cord from the adapter and there is your 12v positive/switch and negative. voila

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i have one sitting right here for my predator.

you will need to cut the end off the cord of course to get to the bare wires for the HU harness

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so it will plug into my wall outlet and then i just cut the cord and wire it together?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
now if you plan on running subs for some wierd reason, you will need an adaptor with a higher amp rating. but you need to keep it at 12v

·
Banned
263 Posts
i would try to use a 2.5a gives a little more power to the speakers. a 1a converter probably will give you like 5 watts to speakers

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i read somewhere that it said to get a 12v 10a power supply. Is that a little overkill?

·
Banned
263 Posts
the radio will only pull as much amps as it wants a 10A would be a little overkill but would not damage the radio

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldnt use a standard 12v adapter. Not big enough wire to support the internal amplifier.

I would find a small AC to 12v DC power adapter. Something with a box on the end.

Edit. I didnt see your link up there, yeah it would work fine. 10 amp should be enough.

·
Banned
263 Posts
that is perfect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts