Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 SE3, PZEV 2.0 auto transmission. I need to change my spark plugs. I'm going to take out one take it to the dealer with my vin and ask for 4 exact, new copies.
I can't find a step-by-step on removing the coils, what to watch out for, do's-don'ts, which socket set-up works best, etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions or a recipe so easy even my dumb ass can follow it?
Thx, Bobby Hugo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, good to go. Three plugs looked great but the fourth, closest to the driver's side, had oil on it. Not fouling but on the threads and ceramic. The car seems to run the same even though the OEM plugs had a lot of miles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Change the valve cover gasket, that is most likely what is leading to the oil on the plug. First make sure the bolts have not come loose. I do not know what motor you have or how many miles you got, but the factory (not copper!) plugs now a days can usually go 100k miles before they start missing.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Oil on the plugs is a bad valve cover gasket. These are easy to change. It's a molded rubber piece that fits into a slot in the valve cover. The hardest part is removing the cover and cleaning the mating surface. Use a rag and dab the rag in alcohol to remove any buildup on the cylinder head mating surface. Don't scrape anything off or use an abrasive wipe. Changing the oil is recommended afterwards. If you're not familiar with seating rectangular parts together- keep in mind that you start tightening bolts from the center of the piece, and work your way to the outside in an X shaped pattern.

There will be rings around the spark plug tubes that will have to be replaced, and it won't be a bad idea to remove the spark plugs again so you can clean any oil out of the tube. That way you can tell if you have another leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts