Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took the steering column off of my car and now wheel does not lock. What is responsible for locking the wheel? When I was reassembling it, i thought it went back together the exact way it came off but apparently something isnt right.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the MkIII section for more looks.

IIRC there have been threads here mentioning that it doesn't lock mechanically as prev. models did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for relocating it. I have tried searching but I guess I couldn't figure out what key words to search to get my search narrowed down. I will try again in this part of the forum.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I recently took the steering column off of my car and now wheel does not lock. What is responsible for locking the wheel? When I was reassembling it, i thought it went back together the exact way it came off but apparently something isnt right.
The Ford Focus MK3 steering wheel doesn't lock.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
The Ford Focus MK3 steering wheel doesn't lock.
Steering Column
Steering Column Overview

The steering column system consists of the following components:

Steering wheel
Deployable steering column
Upper and lower steering column shrouds
Steering column switches
Intermediate shaft
The steering column is the mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the steering gear. The steering wheel is mounted to a shaft which passes through the center of the steering column. The shaft is centered by roller ball bearings within the steering column. The steering column shaft then connects the steering column to the steering gear. The steering column shaft utilizes U-joint type couplings.
From the factory service manual for the 2012-2013 Ford Focus.

Note the lack of any mechanical locking feature.

Ford figures with the rack mounted EPAS the increased resistance when the car is shut off and stationary is sufficient to act as a deterrent it seems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On maybe I just never noticed. My hill assist warning came on and I read some where to fix it you have to turn the wheel til it locks. The instructions weren't fora focus but i assumed same instructions would apply. I believe the fix was fora ford flex.

I will try searching for a different way to turn that light off. I had car scanned and it had code u0428 abs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the in depth answer. I'm not a mechanic but I am usually pretty handy but I'm not sure what to do about this hill assist thing. I jut found the manual for the car on this site. I will see if there'sa solution in there

·
Registered
368 Posts
Usually when they say until it "locks", they mean until it stops when turning in one direction. The expression for the number of turns from one extreme to the other on steering is "lock-to-lock".

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ford figures with the rack mounted EPAS the increased resistance when the car is shut off and stationary is sufficient to act as a deterrent it seems.
Ford has PATS. That's all that is needed to meet the legal requirement in the US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts