Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a weird glitch for my system and it'll be a good way to test my confidence in my dealer's problem solving ability.

When the steering wheel volume up control is pressed, I expect the volume to increment. What I get is the volume incrementing all the way to maximum volume. If I press the steering wheel volume down control, the volume goes all the way to minimum in a similar fashion.

I've singled out the steering wheel control for the following reasons. When I turn the Sony dial, the volume will go the correct amount of steps and then it will proceed to maximum volume or minimum volume depending on what I have last pressed on the steering wheel volume control. Also, when I'm in phone mode, the phone volume will then min or max in a similar way. When I'm doing the hands free stuff, the hands free volume will min or max too. So it seems to me it's whenever a setting is listening to that steering wheel mounted control it is always hearing a volume up or volume down command and that command won't stop repeating.

For fun, I turned the myKey volume inhibitor on after I ran out of things I could think of. Now the max volume is 40% or 50% of full maximum.

Has anybody seen a glitch like this or have any ideas?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bizarre glitch, but you seem to be on the right track with the steering wheel control module. Do the other buttons have similar behaviour at all? Check the function of the preivous/next track buttons to see if they do the same thing.

Could be that single D-pad is faulty somehow, or the SWCM itself.

Either way, they should be able to replace either of those and correct it relatively painlessly. :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
They shouldn't need to hold on to your car long either. They just need to find out if it's the button or the I/O module in question. Then when the part comes in you can just schedule an appointment to have it replaced.

If you are feeling lucky, you could try pulling some fuses to reset the I/O modules for the steering buttons. Look in your manual for related fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. That's what I did next. Fortunately they don't behave glitchy nor does the mode button in the center. I think I will look further into the fuses.

I took the Focus on a 300 mile road trip yesterday and with the child guard volume it wasn't too bad. But with the constantly sent volume, sometimes I couldn't hit my Sirius presets on the touch screen. Also, even at myKey throttled levels, the voice over of the driver assist and hands free features is too loud.

·
Registered
936 Posts
That would be quite irritating. I'm guessing at this point it is most likely a faulty up/down rocker switch that won't center itself so it is always engaging volume up or down.

I don't think there would be much that can be done about it without replacing the D-pad itself. Unfortunately, AFAIK all of the wiring for all the steering wheel buttons/lighting goes through one single connector through the clockspring.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've been waiting for a couple of weeks now on a simple little plastic insert that goes on the bottom of the back seat (snaps in place). The parts guy can't seem to find a way to even order the part because it is not in the system broken down that far. He doesn't want to order the whole seat and I don't blame him for such a ridiculously simple plastic part. They seem to be very disorganized when it comes to ordering parts.

It's a really insignificant part in my case but the button control on the steering wheel is much more important. I hope there isn't too much problem in getting the part in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turned out pulling the fuse was all I needed to do. But while I'm an old hat at resetting computers, I'm not used to resetting cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts