Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on the forum so don’t can’t at me for any mistakes…

Anyways I have a 2014 Ford Focus se and I’m putting in a new stereo so I decided to ditch my wheel controls. I have been searching ALL over the web and have found nothing on how to do the upgrade…. I just want to keep my horn, what color wire is the horn to my understanding it’s connected to the steering wheel not the car. I bought a full net setup: the hub, quick release, and wheel

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,770 Posts
What stereo are you trying to install? That's necessary information. There's no reason to eliminate the steering wheel controls with a new radio as there's adapter units available to retain them.
A replacement DIN or double DIN size stereo requires a dash kit and harness adapter kit in order to fit it and get it working in the car. The dash and harness kit will come with instructions and it will essentially be plug and play other than connecting the aftermarket radio wires to the harness adapter.
Or if you bought one of those cheap chinese replacement units that come with the dash/radio all in one I would imagine it comes with instructions as well.. Good luck if you have a problem with it though as any customer service might not exist and getting a replacement under warranty will be questionable.

I just noticed that your title says steering wheel but your post is mostly about a stereo and horn. Why did you buy an aftermarket steering wheel that I assume has no airbag and what's to be gained by that in all practicality? Do you live in a high theft area and if so then why didn't you just buy a club or alarm?
You're going to have airbag system faults in addition to your horn issue. You'll probably need to find a wiring diagram for a 2014 Focus to find out the wire colors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off the setup I bought is NRG not net typo… second the stereo is gonna be installed professionally but I don’t really need to keep the wheel controls. I want something new and also for looks. I just like the idea of having a quick release. And yes there have been many breakins lately. **I don’t need the steering wheel controls I’m not worried about what’s to sacrifice when taking the old wheel off and putting on quick release

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
A quick release wheel is generally not accepted as a safe mod on the highway. See your local inspector, they may reject it instantly. They will here in Texas.

And if you have a wreck due to it in some way the lawyers will have a field day owning you forever over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!! Might have to get the horn wired by a shop… that diagram is gibberish to me lol. Correct me if I’m wrong but can I just splice the red wire off the harness and connect straight to steering wheel? Surely with the exception of also grounding it to the quick release hub?!

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,770 Posts
Great find with the wiring diagram bayuap. That diagram was well labeled and it was even color coded.

1st off the setup I bought is NRG not net typo… second the stereo is gonna be installed professionally but I don’t really need to keep the wheel controls. I want something new and also for looks. I just like the idea of having a quick release. And yes there have been many breakins lately. **I don’t need the steering wheel controls I’m not worried about what’s to sacrifice when taking the old wheel off and putting on quick release
Well, good luck selling that car to someone for a good price with no airbag in it. Most people will shrug off such a car since they want the protection that an airbag gives. Like amc49 said many states will not allow such a mod on the public roads as modern cars are mandated to have functional airbags. Also, I'd never let anyone else drive that car because if they get into any kind of accident be it their fault or not and get hurt they can sue you for everything you have now and will ever earn in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yessir. I fully understand everything that comes with this steering wheel swap!! Thanks for all the info, also planning on doing a seatbelt harness. As it’s my first car that my late dad helped me buy. Not planning on selling it anytime soon. Just wanna have some fun with it.

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
A custom seatbelt harness is another thing that will not be approved at safety inspection in many states, it not being up to operator to determine whether the work is as good as the work approved by the feds and done by the manufacturer.

State police CAN give infraction tickets for equipment as the driver can kill other people based on his choices to make things 'less safe' in the state court's eyes.

Another OP witlessly tossing all ideas of even personal safety out the window to 'have some fun'. OP simply wiping all concern off for others is death, the lawyer if smart will look up any sites he visits and finding this guarantees even more a legal case win. And, state cop seeing the steering wheel and seat belts and young person driving............NOT going to be a good afternoon that one. I say that having been there several times when young. Five tickets, car towed and went to jail at one time once. Had over 30 tickets by 25 years old. BTDT.

·
Registered
691 Posts
A custom seatbelt harness is another thing that will not be approved at safety inspection in many states, it not being up to operator to determine whether the work is as good as the work approved by the feds and done by the manufacturer.

State police CAN give infraction tickets for equipment as the driver can kill other people based on his choices to make things 'less safe' in the state court's eyes.

Another OP witlessly tossing all ideas of even personal safety out the window to 'have some fun'. OP simply wiping all concern off for others is death, the lawyer if smart will look up any sites he visits and finding this guarantees even more a legal case win. And, state cop seeing the steering wheel and seat belts and young person driving............NOT going to be a good afternoon that one. I say that having been there several times when young. Five tickets, car towed and went to jail at one time once. Had over 30 tickets by 25 years old. BTDT.
That is what you call wisdom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is what you call wisdom.
I would love to have a better wheel in my car. I do like the leather trim but that's where it ends. The wheel is too bulky. Hard to see through to dash. Hard to hang on to in fast turning, again bulky. The many buttons which I never use, stick out instead of being recessed which would be more practical. It's too easy too accidentally activate a button especially when in a panic situation like needing to use the horn while turning out of a bad scene. I've had SYNC talking back to me on more than one occasion after avoiding an idiot.
Yes I'd love to replace that steering wheel but the air bag situation is a dilemma.
Oh, and AMC49 30 tickets by 25, we should compare notes, I think I have you there. Not that I use barely anything I did in my 20s as a source of inspiration for people.

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
I said nothing about how many tickets by 30.......and nothing to be proud of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts