Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BLÄKNBLÜƎ
7,146 Posts
Its fairly simple...
You will need a 5.5mm and a 24mm socket and the ratchets to go with them
- Locate the 2 bolts on the backside of the wheel and turn the wheel so they are both accessible
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait about 15/30 min for your airbag to discharge
- Start by loosening the 2 bolts (5.5mm) on the back of the wheel
- Remove the airbag being careful of the airbag/cruise control wire harness and unplug the wire harness
- Behind that you will see the bolt (24mm) that holds the steering wheel on, remove that and your steering wheel will come right off

If you plan on changing the clock spring as well, they changed throughout the years. Im not sure on that but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Cheers and happy [wrenchin]

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
what he said ^

and if your interested i have a SVT wheel for sale

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A 7/32" socket will work in place of the 5.5mm socket, and a 15/16" socket will work in place of the 24mm socket. Also, in my experience, remove the radio and cruise control plug first, as it is much easier to remove than the air bag plug. Finally, when reinstalling the air bag, do not over-tighten the 5.5mm (7/32") bolts, otherwise, when you reconnect the negative battery terminal, the horn will wake you up...fast! I tighten them a couple of turns, reconnect the battery, then finish tightening them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts