Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my steering wheel shakes and rattles. Its kinda annoyin and it looks bad especially if i have a passenger with me. Even at low speeds it does it, so its not like im going 70+ MPH. I know most cars start to shake at high speeds but mine shakes at very low speeds. Even when I let go of the steering wheel it rattles. I just want it to stop. Anyone know what may be causing this? [ohcrap]

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,797 Posts
it's going to likely be something in front of the car. Cuz a rear vibration usuually is a ass vibration. So that may narrow it down somewhat. Bad motor mount maybe. I have no idea really.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing, either your tires are crap, or you really need an alignment.....or both.
Really?! I never even thought about that. Didnt know tires and alignments had anything to do with a skakin steering wheel. Hmmm..im glad u told me this. I think i'll check em out then...thanks man.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Yep, i know this from experience. Mine used to shake when I had my 14" steel wheels that had crappy tires on them. Then I changed to my 17" rims, and the shaking was gone. Then I lowered my car, and then the shaking was back, so I got an alignment, and the shaking is completely gone. So good tires + good alignment = no more shaking from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
yes, it sounds like a wheel is out of balance (either weights missing, or crapped out tire), or you have a bent rim or something.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Really?! I never even thought about that. Didnt know tires and alignments had anything to do with a skakin steering wheel. Hmmm..im glad u told me this. I think i'll check em out then...thanks man.
I hope that was a smartass comment.

Anyway, if you're driving slow in a parking lot and you can feel an upward and downward motion periodically, then you need to check your front tires for bulges. This happens when the inside webbing of the tire starts to separate, and can happen at any age of the tire from a variety of causes: bad manufacturing, hard impacts, and so forth. This is the most dangerous of tire damages because at some point the tire will rupture violently. If you determine it is a bulge, use your hand to feel around the tire, or if you know someone who has a gravel driveway- driving down their driveway will aid (light colored sand and dirt) you in spotting the bulge visually.

Other tire damages include cupping and extreme wear. Cupping is uneven wear on the tire usually due to old shocks. This can also be felt by rubbing the tire surface. If you feel flat spots across the tread, then you have cupping. Extreme wear would be when the steel belt starts to show through the rubber on the tires after the tread is completely gone. Cupping is annoying, but isn't highly dangerous. If you have extreme wear, you'll be on the side of the road one day changing to the spare if you don't get a new tire or tires. Neither of these would cause extreme shaking.

Alignment causes extreme shaking, but not usually at low speeds unless you're WAY out of alignment- say from running one wheel into a concrete pole and bending the rack. However, you could have a loose tie rod end or inner tie rod. If the steering wheel feels "loose" or has dead spots then you should see an alignment shop immediately. These problems can be determined visually, and also by jacking the car safely, then shaking the wheel side to side while listening for metal to metal impact sounds. If the impact sound is close to the wheel, it's an outer tie rod on that wheel, if it doesn't sound close to either wheel- then it could be the inner tie rod or (unlikely) a loose or cracked rack. All these damages are VERY dangerous.

First, Dougoefre5h and the 2Fre5h Crue asked if the shaking increased depending on engine speed OR vehicle speed. These are two different causes. All the conditions I related would cause shaking at vehicle speeds, but a bad motor mount would cause shaking by engine speeds. It's very simple, start your car, rev your engine, if it is shaking- then your problem is a motor mount- not a steering problem. This doesn't usually cause steering wheel shaking as much as entire car shaking, but it's worth testing so you can eliminate that cause.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot guys for the comments, especially whynotthinkwhynot..appreciate the insight :p

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Dude, that better have been sarcasm. . . . . .

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol no its not sarcasm and a smart ass comment...why do u guys think it is? Sorry I dont know much about cars like u do...

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
No, it's just that it's one of the first places to check in this sort of a situation. We all gotta learn sometime, no disrespect. This site is all about benefitting from someone else's knowledge and experiences. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Don't think we're trying to make you look/feel stupid, this community is all for support my friend. That's why there's the ability to ask questions. If you don't know, it's always better to get free help rather than pay a dealership to rape you and not even have the common courtesy to give a reach-around.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats exactly right bro. I know what u mean, no harm done. Thanks for the advice and everyone elses...i really do appreciate it.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
No problem man. All of my knowledge and experiences are open for browsing. haha [rofl]

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
Most of us on here are idiots, we only seem smart due to the knowledge we gain from our own experiences.

It's a joke, no harm intended.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I know I've had my fair share of dee-dee-dee moments. haha!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts