Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently got my tires rotated and balanced and I noticed that when I get up to 70 miles an hour my steering wheel shakes pretty rough. It's weird since I'll let go of my steering wheel and the car goes straight down the road and also nothing else in the car shakes literally just the steering wheel. Any idea what might be causing it?

Thanks!
Aaron

·
Registered
495 Posts
If it is the steering wheel that is the front tires/suspension. You could take them back and have them balance the tires again. Could also be a worn tire or broken suspension component. A worn ball joint can cause a shudder at speed as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Word, thanks guys. But wouldn't that cause the whole car to shake? It's hella weird cause it's just the steering wheel.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Word, thanks guys. But wouldn't that cause the whole car to shake? It's hella weird cause it's just the steering wheel.
As an apprentice this is what I was taught to look for when you take a car out for a test drive;
Feel a shake in the steering wheel = Front wheels/suspension
Feel a shake in the car/seat = rear wheels/suspension

Because the front wheels are connected directly to the steering column you will feel the shake more prevalently in the steering wheel. Whereas the rear wheels are more less only attached to the chassis. They have no direct feed to the steering wheel. Therefore you feel that in your backside first.

It's been working for me over the past 25 years! [thumb]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine had that symptom and it turned out to be a bad/floppy inner tie rod. Felt like a wheel out of balance. It would lessen while turning slightly to the left. Check those for sure while in there looking.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
It could be a number of things as mentioned, but if it didn't do it prior to the rotate&balance, and started doing it right after it sounds like a balance issue or a tire going bad.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
It could be a number of things as mentioned, but if it didn't do it prior to the rotate&balance, and started doing it right after it sounds like a balance issue or a tire going bad.
in addition to this, it could have been a rear wheel that is bent/or not balanced and was less noticeable when it was on the rear. One of the weights could have fallen off as well throwing a wheel out of balance. Since you just had the tires balanced, id head back to the shop and have them diagnose.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a similar issue and it turned out to be 2 lug nuts that loosened, tightened them up and it disappeared. Just for good measure re-torque your lug nuts on the front tires and see if it persists?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts