Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ... i have fitted an aftermarket steering wheel and im wondering how to fit the resistor that came with it .. the airbag has 2 sets of wires going to it as its a 2 stage airbag apparently . do i need a resistor for each side or do i bridge between both pairs ? i have no idea

help will be greatly appreciated

cheers guys

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know it was a long time ago. But did you ever figure it out? I'm in the same situation now too, and wonder if both wires get resistors or one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Both pairs would make sense, don't ask me what values though.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
no.... dont wire it, use your airbag and track back the wires.. 2 wires are for the horn 2 wires are for the airbag.. short the wrong wires you will burn out the airbag controller.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine has the two wires for the horn, then two sets of wires that plug into the back of the airbag, one green plug and one black plug. Each plug has two wires going to them.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
here is a 2002 Ford Focus steering wheel airbag that was pulled out of a 2003 Ford Focus Sedan Both SE models

4 wires, 2 for airbag 2 for horn you can see which the horn is because it cannot use the ground of the wheel itself

I just happen to have it out as i repair my airbag system which has a 5 slow blink then solid which is bad signal.

Attachments

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
This is what I am talking about. The horn buttons are the single black and blue wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using FF Mobile
yours looks like the newer MK1.5 the one with the larger Blue Oval.. i believe my 2006 has that airbag.. they changed the airbag system in the 2003.5 versions which are not compatible with the older 1998-2003 series

if his airbag had the same as yours as remember from what i see his is the Euro version and has the same as yours then YES you need to resist both..

Ford yet again has put a mix of whatever they had available it looks like but again i believe yours is the 2003.5+ year (theres early 2003 and late 2003 they are seriously different in how the controllers are.) only way to be sure we need to see a picture of it but if yours matches one of ours then you have your answers..

im seriously thinking the small oval and large oval bags are the bags were showing.. mine is the smaller oval i have a feeling yours is the larger one

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really appreciate the info. That makes sense. I'll put resistors in both and see what happens. Thanks again!

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I really appreciate the info. That makes sense. I'll put resistors in both and see what happens. Thanks again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using FF Mobile
not a problem and i got the message goobered i thought you were trying to help not the one with the issue... the plug itself are the connector wires paired together at the connector or separate if they are paired then you only need to resist the one one feed as the one splits off into 2.. if they are different pairs going into different slots then you need to resist both that are fed... this is why i was saying mine to yours to the OP not realising the 2014 revival.

I would pull my 06 bag out but ive been hit in the chest by 2 airbags in my life pulling that tan one out scares the bejesus out of me just trying to fix the fault light ( i had 1 headon and another headon due to black ice and im 6'4" so my face hits the top of the bag and i get a chest full of the rest)

if you could get me a picture of the connector closer up where the wires go into the connector i can see it better

·
Registered
180 Posts
not a problem and i got the message goobered i thought you were trying to help not the one with the issue... the plug itself are the connector wires paired together at the connector or separate if they are paired then you only need to resist the one one feed as the one splits off into 2.. if they are different pairs going into different slots then you need to resist both that are fed... this is why i was saying mine to yours to the OP not realising the 2014 revival.

I would pull my 06 bag out but ive been hit in the chest by 2 airbags in my life pulling that tan one out scares the bejesus out of me just trying to fix the fault light ( i had 1 headon and another headon due to black ice and im 6'4" so my face hits the top of the bag and i get a chest full of the rest)

if you could get me a picture of the connector closer up where the wires go into the connector i can see it better
These are the wires. One black and one purple looking one goes to the green connector, and then one black and one purple to the black connector. I hope this helps

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
thank you, yes you need to resist both.. and everything should be good

·
Registered
180 Posts
Went to radio shack and got some. What I was able to get, was a bunch of 10 ohm resistors. How many would I use to get it to 2 ohms?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
5 in parallel... do you need 2ohm? i have plenty of 2ohms in my stash (I repair electronics so i have plenty)

it would be easier to place instead of 5 stacked for each

·
Registered
180 Posts
5 in parallel... do you need 2ohm? i have plenty of 2ohms in my stash (I repair electronics so i have plenty)

it would be easier to place instead of 5 stacked for each
Thanks man. I checked the resistance on each plug with my ohmmeter and each plug on the back of the airbag sits at around 2.7/2.8 ohms. So I put 4 10 ohm resistors together to get 2.8 ohms. Going to give it a shot tomorrow. If still light on, then I will use my Ford scan tool that I used to reprogram my ford keys, and see if I can reset the RCM. 20170307_214906.jpg

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
the resistors i have are 2.34 ohms .. also you really shouldn't use butt connectors for SRS components
i dont know your car or its SRS setup but if one of those jiggle loose they can possibly cause a fault or a premature deployment of the other and some focus's have seat bags that are bolted to the side bolsters of each seat

i have to disable the bolster bags on my cars as the last one that deployed shattered my shoulder

·
Registered
180 Posts
the resistors i have are 2.34 ohms .. also you really shouldn't use butt connectors for SRS components
i dont know your car or its SRS setup but if one of those jiggle loose they can possibly cause a fault or a premature deployment of the other and some focus's have seat bags that are bolted to the side bolsters of each seat

i have to disable the bolster bags on my cars as the last one that deployed shattered my shoulder
I didn't even think about that. I'll probably do it without the butt connectors. My car doesn't have the seat bags at all. Only the passenger dash bag.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts