Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have a 06' Focus and I was looking to install a new steering wheel, with the radio control buttons on it. My car didn't come with this buttons from factory, but I've checked behind the airbag and I found the PIN connector to plug the buttons:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

My question is: I will need to do any other wiring work for those buttons to work? The plan is to buy the steering wheel with the buttons and the buttons harness, install my airbag on it, plug the harness on the PIN on my car and control the radio on it. The cruise control will not work but I'll let it there for a future project haha. Do you guys think that this will work? This is the steering wheel that I want btw:

Wheel Corded phone Motor vehicle Steering part Telephone

Meanwhile my actual steering wheel is one of those:

Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Automotive lighting Rim

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I see you are not in US. If your 2006 is a North American type MK1 then the factory remote radio controls are not mounted on the steering wheel - they are mounted on the steering column. The factory remote radio wiring does not go thru the clockspring.

If you are trying to use the cruise control buttons for an aftermarket remote radio control good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you are not in US. If your 2006 is a North American type MK1 then the factory remote radio controls are not mounted on the steering wheel - they are mounted on the steering column. The factory remote radio wiring does not go thru the clockspring.

If you are trying to use the cruise control buttons for an aftermarket remote radio control good luck.

Paul
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info, I was looking at this steering column control too, maybe I'll buy it but I need to know how the harness is connected to the radio. There are two wires that come out of the control:

Cable Adapter Laptop accessory Wire Composite material

But the problem is to know where those wires go on the stereo, my head unit is a stock one but I couldn't find anything online:

Plant Clock Gadget Vehicle Display device

(Is a Visteon CCL 6S45, VP6C3F-18C815-AA)

Do you guys know any pinout diagram from this stereo? Or some manual, documentation, anything helps hahaha

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Im still trying to figure out if you have a North American type MK1 (2000-2007) or a Euro type MK2 (2006-2010). Where exactly are you and can you post a pic of your cars exterior and interior?

I can tell you that the radio you posted was never used in a North American type MK1 but may have been used in non-NA MK1. I only have info on NA type MK1 Focus.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Paul,

I'm on Brazil, my Focus is the MK1 Version, the 2006 model:

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

As far as I know, this one was fabricated here in Brazil, and export through South America (Argentina, Uruguay, etc.), so I don't know how much info I can find on those models and their stereos (until this moment, not much).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Your vehicle is the basically the same as the North American MK1 but the radio you have was never used on NA models. You will need to find a wiring diagram with the rear connector pinouts to determine where the two wires from the remote control connect. If you dont already have the column mounted remote control be certain that the one you are looking at comes with the small two pin connector. I see lots of those remotes for sale (many from Europe) but hardly any come with the connector which can be impossible to obtain. Also the mounting for the remote on the column is already there but when the remote is used the lower column cover has a hole in it and the existing cover can be difficult to modify. The best is if you can find a remote control, connector, and the cover for a wrecked auto.

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your vehicle is the basically the same as the North American MK1 but the radio you have was never used on NA models. You will need to find a wiring diagram with the rear connector pinouts to determine where the two wires from the remote control connect. If you dont already have the column mounted remote control be certain that the one you are looking at comes with the small two pin connector. I see lots of those remotes for sale (many from Europe) but hardly any come with the connector which can be impossible to obtain. Also the mounting for the remote on the column is already there but when the remote is used the lower column cover has a hole in it and the existing cover can be difficult to modify. The best is if you can find a remote control, connector, and the cover for a wrecked auto.

Paul
I did this mod to my 2007 Mk1 wagon a few months ago. Works 4.0. I connected the middle pin on the remote control unit (RCU) to pin 19 of the radio unit and the bottom pin on the RCU to pin 18 of the radio. The top pin on the RCU was not used. I had to run my own wires from the RCU to the radio and I used a connector from Radio Shack.
Jim

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I did this mod to my 2007 Mk1 wagon a few months ago. Works 4.0. I connected the middle pin on the remote control unit (RCU) to pin 19 of the radio unit and the bottom pin on the RCU to pin 18 of the radio. The top pin on the RCU was not used. I had to run my own wires from the RCU to the radio and I used a connector from Radio Shack.
Jim
Yes I was the one that gave you the info to wire it back in March:

The OP has a radio that was not used on North American MK1/1.5 Focus so I cant help him wire with the wiring as I have no info on that radio.

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes I was the one that gave you the info to wire it back in March:

The OP has a radio that was not used on North American MK1/1.5 Focus so I cant help him wire with the wiring as I have no info on that radio.

Paul
OK, should have read the rest of the posts. Hopefully the pinout diagrams will be found on the internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts