Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I've been trudging through the numerous threads on the Focus' ignition probs to try and remedy my own issues, currently to no avail.

Unfortunately I didn't discover this site and the resources until after I had a crack at fixing my wife's car.

When she arrived home she could not pull the key out of the car - it was stuck in position 1 (accessories) - I tried and it was definately stuck - it could move to start the car and such but would not move to position zero to remove the key. I tried turning the steering wheel but it wouldn't budge so I removed the cowlings and the ignition switch off of the end before removing the ignition barrel. Whilst doing this I had removed the neg batt. connector due and any and all connectors around the steering column - including as I discovered later the PATS.
Anyway - I removed the ignition barrel and could move the key freely and easily through all positions and in and out of the cylinder with no issues so I looked at the area between the ignition barrel and ignition switch.

I removed the shaft (shown in picture 5012) to have a poke around to see if I could find the cause (my fault I repair laser printers for a living and tend to pull things apart and ask q's later) - this is when I looked for answers and found this forum...

Problems are now:
1- I cannot refit the shaft into the steering column (as per picture 5011) as the steering wheel is locked and no amount of fiddling can release it - the shaft goes in but only in position 0 - it has to be in position 1 for the ignition barrel to fit in... How can I release the steering lock cam so as to fir the shaft in?

2- I figure I would start the car just with a screwdriver in the meantime but even though I have the original key next to the PATS sensor when I switch the ignition switch the engine is dead (accessories etc work fine) I tried the spare key which had not been in the car during my fiddling and it does the same - By disconnecting the PATS sensor and battery have I reset it ??

I don't believe a new ignition barrel is necessary (after reading these forums I will be replacing before it becomes an issue though) as the key works fine in it.

The ignition switch is locked into position 0 when the battery is powered on - I'm guessing this is the immobilisation - if I connect it in position 1 (accessories) I try to start it with no success.

Confusing to me is the fact that during the dissassembly of all these parts as soon as I connect the battery and have the door open it "dings" as if the key is in there? Even though I have all these parts out?

Anyhelp would be appreciated as this has already eaten up approx 10hrs of my life and I have no money to repair anything for another 2 weeks...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may well have to get the keys reprogrammed - for whatever reason...they seem to have reset - but how can I disengage the steering lock? No-one knows?

There has to be a way to release the steering lock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just been quoted $1575 (AUS) for a new steering column as apparently that is the only way to get the steering wheel lock - does anyone know if this is actually the case? This was from the dealer tho...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi PsyKoMunky. Did you ever manage to get the steering column lock off? I have the same issue as you described in point one. I have taken the ignition barrel out but the steering column is in the locked position and i can't get the ignition barrel back in while it's in this position. thanks fro your help. dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts