Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Focus SEL and just noticed the paint on one of the radio controls is chipping away.

Is there a repair?

Can an individual button be replaced?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford is going to fix it.

The reason I was concerned is because I also own a 2010 Edge Limited. 2 months into ownership, I noticed one of the rear window defroster wires / lines was not working. I took it into the dealer and received the "No problem found" response. Knowing the vehicle was under warranty, I waited until nother convenient time (year later) to bring it in. This time I took pictures of the failure with me. They put a patch on the line and it looked and felt awful. I complained about it and was told to "buzz off" by Ford. The dealer offered to pay half, which I accepted with great displeasure.

That experience left a terrible tast in my mouth and a major lack of confidence Ford Motor's warranty system.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
You can't replace the individual button but the stack of buttons are replaceable. Make the dealer fix it for free.
Mine did the same but mine was installed afterwards so no warranty on it there it bothered me enough that I went and just bought the buttons and swapped it myself
$89 for the stack of cruise buttons

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
No it comes off the wheel just be gentle and not tear the little rubber slot the buttons lodge into

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
To my suprise, the dealer fixed it under warranty.
Can you send me your VIN or service request information on this? My dealer wants to charge me nearly $300 to fix it with new buttons and an hour and a half labor.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
good to here!

·
Registered
676 Posts
GM cars are notorious for peeling, chipping dash labels, but never had any peel off on Fords, Nissan I owned. My dad's '06 Buick dash parts look very worn down and only has 60K miles

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Same thing happened on mine but I've just dealt with it. I was considering putting a little paint to fix it since I'm out of warranty.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ford's 3-yr/36k warranty covers buttons peeling ... they have to replace the buttons, they don't repaint them ...

Also, if you have a Ford extended warranty, it needs to be PremiumCare to cover radios, if the radio buttons are peeling. Might be the same for steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a second owner on an 09 focus.. it has 57k miles but I also have purchased the extended warranty. Should this cover the chipping on my steering wheel buttons?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes. It actually is cake. I found pics here on the forums to remove the airbag. You have to stick a flathead screwdriver in 3 places from behind the steering wheel. Once the airbag is out, the buttons pop right out. However.... the steering wheel is crappy hard rubber. Mine busted right where the buttons inserted so I had to get creative with glue. Once back together of course you don't see my creativity :)

Here is the link I used.... www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279456

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi All,

This problem is annoying. I fixed mine by peeling away chipped edges and sanding down edges smooth with nailfile emery board. Then I used auto pinstripe tape on the edges as it conforms to curves. Used to bother me constantly, now it actually looks like the tape was factory and no sharp edges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts