Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after trying to get Ford to fix my chrome peeling issue (covered in another thread) and failing to get it covered under warranty (despite having 20k left on my kms), I've decided to go with a carbon fibre wrap instead. I've seen some instructions on how to do other interior trim wraps, but no one has covered the steering wheel.

Has anyone done this? If so, what would you think the level of difficulty would be to do it. I have a background in mechanics but detailing work is not my specialty. I'm more of an engine/tranny guy.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You might want to check "carid.com". They offer a carbon + leather Ford Focus steering wheel for around $350, on a "core exchange" basis. You may not want to spend the money, but you might get some ideas. Good luck.

* CarID is a vendor on this site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did one. I was replacing the airbag, so I had it out anyway. A quick search for airbag removal will reveal the steps to take it out, so I won't go into that. The trim piece is held on to the airbag assembly by some sort of plastic welds. I ground them all off from the back with a dremel tool and it came off pretty easily. You have to be careful though, the trim is pretty thin and seems like it would break easily if you tried to force it off. Once I removed the trim I feathered the edge of the peeling chrome with some 220 sandpaper, then went over the whole thing with 400. I used a 12"x12" sheet of 3M 1080 Scotchprint carbon fiber wrap. It was a little tedious, but should go fine if you take your time. I then mixed up some JB Liquid Weld and placed it on all the original attachment points, and a few additional spots (use your own judgment). I let it sit overnight and then double checked the wrap had adhered properly. I ended up superglueing a couple of spots on the back where the wrap hadn't adhered (there are some areas on the back that don't have a lot of surface area for the wrap to stick to, primarily around the holes for the sync/cc controls. After that it’s just a matter of installing the airbag.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to MkIII Interior Mods section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts