Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have been asking a lot of questions lately, but hopefully I can find a common issue that is causing all my problems. I recently took my dash out to replace the evaporator. I am by no means a mechanic and that is probably what my problem is now.

I got the car back together and now I have a couple issues.

- volume control on steering won't work
- cruise control on steering won't work
- hill start assist error message
- air bag light comes on

From what I have researched it seems like these issues are all coming from the steering wheel area. I downloaded the manual and have been trying to figure out what the common element is here. It seems to keep coming back to the clockspring or SASM. Anyone have any pointers? I am the point where I am considering taking it to a Ford dealer and asking for there help.

·
Registered
658 Posts
OK I have been asking a lot of questions lately, but hopefully I can find a common issue that is causing all my problems. I recently took my dash out to replace the evaporator. I am by no means a mechanic and that is probably what my problem is now.
For someone who is "by no means a mechanic" that's quite a job. All kidding aside, kudos to you, I would have never had the guts...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For someone who is "by no means a mechanic" that's quite a job. All kidding aside, kudos to you, I would have never had the guts...
Thanks, it wasn't so bad aside from the steering wheel issues I am having now. Other than that everything went back together no problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The idea of taking the dash out in any car scares me half to death. And then with airbags everywhere...
Yeah it was a chore. I was very careful around those...

I also just noticed my horn doesn't work. THat also seems to point towards the clockspring from what i can tell. Either it is bad or there is an open in the circuit somewhere.

I did have a plug beside the defrost button thst did not have anywhere to go... wonder if that could be part of my problem....

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I would suggest to recheck all the connectors, to see if you didn't miss one.

For big job like that i recommend investing in a genuine ford service manual (yes they are pricey but really worth it!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my experience in life as an engineer, I would suggest this: restart from scratch.

I attached a useful documents for you (you were talking about connectors!)

I uploaded the PDF to this website: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04640139180236913051

Thanks for the pdf! That should be very helpful! I am driving the car now, but I am hoping I get some time Friday to get in and trouble shoot it a little more. I have an ohm meter I am going to use to do the trouble shooting steps that the manual suggests to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts