Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a tighter steering ratio mod available? Or an easy-ish way to swap steering ratios?

If anybody knows, please chime in. I'm really interested in having the ratio lowered if at all possible.

Thanks

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Is there a tighter steering ratio mod available? Or an easy-ish way to swap steering ratios?

If anybody knows, please chime in. I'm really interested in having the ratio lowered if at all possible.

Thanks
Like swapping the reg. focus EPAS rack with the Focus ST one?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Isn't the Focus steering ratio 14.7:1. Isn't that fast enough. The rule of thumb for acceptable has always been 15:1. The turns lock to lock is important also and has a big effect on feel.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What suspension mods do you have?

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Go on... I'm listening...
The standard Focus has a linear 14.7:1 steering ratio. The Focus ST has a variable ratio that starts out at 13.7:1 around center and quickens to 10.1:1 as you add lock in corners. The variable part comes from ever-expanding rack tooth spacing as you move away from center, but the general increase in quickness comes from this shorter arm.
I've seen someone do it in the past...once I find this post I'll keep you noticed..

Also have some good reading at this page explaining the steering/suspension difference reg focus vs ST...

2013 Ford Focus ST Suspension Walkaround

Knuckle would need to be swapped to have the quicker advantage...

And so the Focus ST steers from lock-to-lock in something like 1.8 turns, whereas the standard Focus does the same in 2.6 turns. Most of this huge difference indeed comes from the quicker ratio, but a portion comes from the need to restrict the amount of lock somewhat so the shorter arm doesn't get too close to its over-center toggle point. The amount of lost lock can be seen in the ST's 39.4-foot turning radius, up from 36.0 in the base Focus.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen someone do it in the past...once I find this post I'll keep you noticed..

Also have some good reading at this page explaining the steering/suspension difference reg focus vs ST...

2013 Ford Focus ST Suspension Walkaround

Knuckle would need to be swapped to have the quicker advantage...
So it can be done... Sweeeeeeet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isn't the Focus steering ratio 14.7:1. Isn't that fast enough. The rule of thumb for acceptable has always been 15:1. The turns lock to lock is important also and has a big effect on feel.
The Focus' steering ratio is good for it's class, no doubt. Would I like it quicker?... Yes I would. Why? For the same reason folks are adding suspension mods, and power-train mods etc.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What suspension mods do you have?
At this time the only suspension mod I will have is the, Steeda RSB. I may be adding other things in the near future.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
At this time the only suspension mod I will have is the, Steeda RSB. I may be adding other things in the near future.
A bigger rear bar will help cornering= add diag. weight transfer to the inside front wheel. Springs & dampers will really help to.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A bigger rear bar will help cornering= add diag. weight transfer to the inside front wheel. Springs & dampers will really help to.
Word.

I just ordered the Steeda RSB; fswerks RMM insert, and a AEM dry filter about an hour ago.

Snorkel has already been removed.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Word.

I just ordered the Steeda RSB; fswerks RMM insert, and a AEM dry filter about an hour ago.

Those parts thru CFM?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I hear CFM, it makes me think of a carburetor, lol. What's this CFM you speak of?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
When I hear CFM, it makes me think of a carburetor, lol. What's this CFM you speak of?
LOL, Central Florida Motorsports,,,,, A vender here that deals w/ foci's. Checkout the vendor section.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Word.

Nice. good choice for starter mods. you will like that stuff a lot. I'd go with what Felix said and upgrade the Dampers and springs next if you are trying to improve steering/handling.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, Central Florida Motorsports,,,,, A vender here that deals w/ foci's. Checkout the vendor section.
Ahhhhh, okay. I'll go check that out; I hope the parts I just ordered aren't cheaper there :p

Ordered from: fswerks; Amazon; and Steeda.

I'm excited about the ratio swap, apparently it's possible. If I find-out more info on how to do it, I think I'll search for a wrecked ST being parted, and snag what I'd need.

Could you imagine a complete suspension rebuild with those ratios?... Crazy fun!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice. good choice for starter mods. you will like that stuff a lot. I'd go with what Felix said and upgrade the Dampers and springs next if you are trying to improve steering/handling.
Thanks. They were the 3 you suggested from the get-go ;). I'm fairly sure I will upgrade shocks & springs too, but I think I'll try wearing-out the ones I have now first.

I have thought about just doing a header too. From what I understand, a header on stock exhaust does increase power without it being too loud. I heard that the sound is louder than stock, but not quite loud enough to suggest aftermarket exhaust. If true, that sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I havent read a whole lot on the header so i cant say one way or the other but it would make sense that it is quiter on the stock exhaust and i'm sure you would still notice a good HP increase with it, especially with a tune. i've considered a header as well but i'm not sure about the noise. I'm going to do a 2.5 custom exhaust first and go from there.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I havent read a whole lot on the header so i cant say one way or the other but it would make sense that it is quiter on the stock exhaust and i'm sure you would still notice a good HP increase with it, especially with a tune. i've considered a header as well but i'm not sure about the noise. I'm going to do a 2.5 custom exhaust first and go from there.
Good idea. Sounds like we're going to do the same thing, just starting at different ends. I think it's safe to say that if I add a header, I may loose my warranty, and if thats the case, I'd do a tune to go along with it.

But yeah, I think you have it right about the custom exhaust idea. Much cheaper, and would probably sound signature. That's what I like about the header too. The one I'd get is like, $275. Seems like a cheap power, and volume upgrade.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Good idea. Sounds like we're going to do the same thing, just starting at different ends. I think it's safe to say that if I add a header, I may loose my warranty, and if thats the case, I'd do a tune to go along with it.

But yeah, I think you have it right about the custom exhaust idea. Much cheaper, and would probably sound signature. That's what I like about the header too. The one I'd get is like, $275. Seems like a cheap power, and volume upgrade.
275$ is a good price. I think you would void the warranty because the header eliminates the Cat. are you going to go with the OBX header? i know you have to get a longer o2 sensor wire for the rear o2 sensor when you go that route, or get a tune and just plug the rear o2 sensor and have the tuner turn it off. that's kind of what i was thinking about doing if i decide to get a header. you should definitley get a tune if you get a header, a lot of people will argue that with just simple bolt on mods like cat back exhaust and intake that a tune is not really necessary but if you do the header it would definitley be a good idea to get. I'd tune no matter what. it's been my best mod yet.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts