Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall i got a 2012 focus ti auto with 255k, steering seized last year so i parked it and waited for a good deal on a used rack.
Finally found one so ive swapped it in, kinda of a pain lol.
Car runs and drives however the passenger cv seems to be making some noise while the wheel is traveling forward as well as a hill start assist not available message on the dash with the TC light on. Upon trying to select TC through the menu it shows it turned off.
The LCA's were replaced the year before last and seemed to be holding up ok.
To remove the rack i left what i could hooked up, not touching the cv on disengaging the ball joint to drop the LCA with the crossmember and steering rack.

Now i could see a damaged speed sensor cable or something cause the TC issue but the hill start assist and the slight noise im hearing from the CV i just cant fathom what would of caused that.
Can the front suspension hang down too far and break or pop out?
Im racking my brain on what it could be but just not sure where to look next!

I took a video of startup and the hillside error but it was too big to upload!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took another look underneath with someone running and shifting the vehicle.
Appears the sound is coming from the transmission.
Seems to shift fine etc, sounds pretty similar to rusty rotors after parking your car for a few months.
Transmission got the workover at ford for the dtc recall and got the latest clutches etc in about 100k km ago.

Perhaps the battery was still connected when plugging in the used rack, could that have shorted some sort of servo in the trans causing this sound and error on the dash?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced the steering rack as well and made sure that the battery was not connected and I still have the same problems you’re having. So it wasn’t the battery. Did you find the solution to your problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem. Did you happen to find a solution yet?
No I haven’t yet resolved it either. So odd the dealership couldn’t figure it out either.

FWIW, I don’t think my battery was disconnected

Would really appreciate any advice here?
I’ve checked all the connections on the disc brake/ABS which looks fine

I’m still suspicious about what this metal flap does...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No I haven’t yet resolved it either. So odd the dealership couldn’t figure it out either.

FWIW, I don’t think my battery was disconnected

Would really appreciate any advice here?
I’ve checked all the connections on the disc brake/ABS which looks fine

I’m still suspicious about what this metal flap does...?

I think that flap just protects that gap area from dirt and deposits getting stuck in there. It wasn’t connected to any electrical wiring or anything and it was somewhat cheap and flexible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the same position. I just replaced my steering rack, and now can't get ride of this message.

Did you ever resolve this code?
I had the same problem when I just replaced mine. Ended up buying a scan tool that read the live data for the steering angle sensor since every other thread I was on was saying it was probably because it was bad this is after I had an alignment done to make sure it wasn't just misaligned. After that being said I bought the scanner went to live data and it was showing my steering wheel was -360 degrees when it drive straight so unhooked steering column turned 360 degrees counter clockwise reconnected steering column and light went out after I cleared the code and has yet to return also went to live data and now my steering was at 0 degrees when it was straight. I I hooked the column where it connected to rack and pinion to turn steering wheel 360 degrees. Not saying it's your fix but that's what mine took.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem when I just replaced mine. Ended up buying a scan tool that read the live data for the steering angle sensor since every other thread I was on was saying it was probably because it was bad this is after I had an alignment done to make sure it wasn't just misaligned. After that being said I bought the scanner went to live data and it was showing my steering wheel was -360 degrees when it drive straight so unhooked steering column turned 360 degrees counter clockwise reconnected steering column and light went out after I cleared the code and has yet to return also went to live data and now my steering was at 0 degrees when it was straight. I I hooked the column where it connected to rack and pinion to turn steering wheel 360 degrees. Not saying it's your fix but that's what mine took.
Sorry mine was a 2014 Ford focus SE with just around 110 k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts