Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Focus svt and I’m looking for a passenger steering knuckle and CV axle any ideas??

·
Registered
140 Posts
New OE replacements & the Ford Racing kits are long discontinued....

Sadly, you will have to try your local area junkyards OR

Contact Speedway Recyclers-

Speedway Recyclers

See if they have any available that you need...

........................................................................................................................................................................

NOW this is ONLY a rumor, again a rumor....

From what I have read out in forums elsewhere, the second gen US-spec only Focus "ST" and the first-gen Transit-Connect use the same size calipers & rotors from the SVTF.

But no-where has anyone actually tried matching up the knuckles to confirm or valid this....

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
New OE replacements & the Ford Racing kits are long discontinued....

Sadly, you will have to try your local area junkyards OR

Contact Speedway Recyclers-

Speedway Recyclers

See if they have any available that you need...

........................................................................................................................................................................

NOW this is ONLY a rumor, again a rumor....

From what I have read out in forums elsewhere, the second gen US-spec only Focus "ST" and the first-gen Transit-Connect use the same size calipers & rotors from the SVTF.

But no-where has anyone actually tried matching up the knuckles to confirm or valid this....
^^^ Not sure on the above. There are ABS versions of '05 that have the same caliper mounting tabs. (used smaller caliper the SVT caliper is larger). the difference is the ball joint size. Go into '06 and the strut is a different size and need the Massive Omni-Kit.

I have C-F-M front tubular control arms and recently made a change from SVT to the "newer" knuckle with the larger ball joint because its easier and cheaper to find the knuckles for a non-SVT. The nice thing with the C-F-M tubular control arms is that you can easily run different ball joint sizes since its just a pin change. This allows for swapping in a SVT or a Regualr focus knuckle.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
btw you can use the '05 only spindles/knuckles, but you'd have to use the bigger '05+ ball joints. Ford changed the spindles out for '05, spaced out the brake caliper mounting points, (same as the svt spindles), bigger ball joints, while still using the smaller diameter '00-'04 struts. So any '05 only spindle would work. Cardone as well others should have some reman svtt c/v axles for you.

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
Before you fully install the replacement SVT CV axles / half shafts check the oil vains on the transmission side and make sure they are the same. Some of the CV axles / half shafts out there dont have the correct oil vains and can cause damage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
@Magus2727 & @felixthecat

Dumb Question but curious too:

So that means you are re-using the original/SVT lower control arm & the '05 ONLY ball-joint will still press in the control arm?

Just trying to avoid misinformation for me & others.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................

My understanding is the SVTF CV axles are still available on Rock-Auto dot comm

·
Thats What She Said
10,696 Posts
SVT knuckle is the "same" as the 05 w/ ABS nuckle with the exception of the ball joint drill was made to be larger on +05's.

So to use the '05 nuckle you need to use a new ball joint in the control arm.

The C-F-M control arms remove the ball joint with a heim joint and a machined pin. So you can interchange between the two with a "simple" pin change.

An '05 Control arm ball joint will not work with the SVT knuckle, and a '05 knuckle will not work with a SVT or Mk1 control arm ball joint.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
Yea you can use the original A-arm, just need to replace the ball joint w/ a '05+ one. Possibly cheaper to replace the whole A-arm for a '05+ one if using a '05 spindle.http://rockauto.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts