Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I drive my Focus on the freeway, or just at a higher spend 60 or so, and I hold my wheel straight, the car moves to the left and Tham to the right and left again, like something is loose. I ripped off my front wheels and found nothing loose. Tie rods are fine, sespension is good. The only thing loose in the sway bar links which I knew about. (Clunking). I do live in MN, icy roadways and that is when I noticed. It's not that, I have good winter tires on and it does it on dry roadways too. I don't understand. Do you?

I checked my fluids and that are all fine. I addedon't and filled months ago when I did my brakes.

Also, I have some kind of oil, can't tell what, on my driver floor mat. I looked and nothing ia wet except the arm that runs to my brake pedal. It's a good size puddle. Any ideas on that too?

Thanks guys. I need to figure this out or get some reasonable ideas so I can fix it asap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mt 02 had similar issues with the steering and I believed it to be the front swaybar bushings. I never did get around to changing them though haha. How many miles on vehicle? Either way its 12 years old and stuff starts to deteriorate. Do you have a manual or auto? I know the clutch master cylinder is a common part to fail and that will leak fluid onto the floor mat by the clutch pedal. Not sure what it would be on the brake pedal, never had that problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 02 ZX5. Manual. About 116k. A couple buddies said it might be the brake master since it's on the firewall...not sure.

As for the movement, I hope it is the links...I think I am gonna get all of them replaced. Bars too.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Not sway bar anything. When you are on smooth level pavement and at steady speed the sway bar does not even work AT ALL.

Either loose something or toe out under dynamic conditions. Toe out makes the car cut one way and then the other as the two tires fight with each other since aimed in different directions. On one tire the tire rubber squirms to give in to the other and then it happens the opposite way.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'll move this to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

Toe could do it, but if everything seems tight & there were no recent changes to anything up front the REAR could be the problem.

Sacked bushing in a front or rear lower control arm can let the wheel change direction while rolling, often gives a "loose" feeling to the rear end & the car can feel like it's steering itself.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Yes, a bad loose BJ will do it in a second as it shifts around loose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toe seems to be right. My car does nend an alignment. I think I will have to get that done real soon, granted I can get time off work...darn work. I'll have to double check the ball joints too. I think they are OK though. I appreciate the help guys.

Also, does the rear have any camber/toe/caster adjustments? All stock minus the springs and shocks. Lowered an inch.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only toe adj. stock anywhere (ft. & rear).

Zero to minimal toe out at the front & .10* in at the rear is a good target.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ball joints looknow fine. Tie rods actually seem loose when you jiggle the wheel. Moves the whole rod. There is this clunking too...still. My buddy thinks maybe a bearing. I don't see how that would create a clunk. Doesn't make any other nose other than a clunk...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts