Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I obtained a steering column radio control unit on ebay (and matching lower cowl with mounting hole) to retrofit into my 2007 Focus Wagon. Unfortunately, it appears that my car is not pre-wired to hook up the control unit like it was for the fog lights. Has anyone successfully hooked up the steering column radio control unit to the OEM radio? I have a pin out diagram for the radio unit and it looks like pins 18 and 19 go to the steering column radio control unit, but the connector for the unit has three pins not two. Looking for advice or resources to go to. Thanks.

Jim
2007 Ford Focus Wagon SE

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
My 2005 ZX4 had the steering column radio remote control unit factory installed and I really like it and got used to using it all the time. When I got my 2002 wagon it did not have it. Interestingly I discovered it was never offered as an option on 2000-2004 but the wiring diagrams show it and the early steering columns have the mount for it so I retrofitted it on my 2002 - works great.

To answered you specific question only two wires are needed between the remote and the radio. You will need the mating connector/contacts for the remote.

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2005 ZX4 had the steering column radio remote control unit factory installed and I really like it and got used to using it all the time. When I got my 2002 wagon it did not have it. Interestingly I discovered it was never offered as an option on 2000-2004 but the wiring diagrams show it and the early steering columns have the mount for it so I retrofitted it on my 2002 - works great.

To answered you specific question only two wires are needed between the remote and the radio. You will need the mating connector/contacts for the remote.

Paul
Thanks for the quick response and confirming that only two wires are needed. Now I just need to find a connector that will work and do some testing to determine the right pair of wires.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Thanks for the quick response and confirming that only two wires are needed. Now I just need to find a connector that will work and do some testing to determine the right pair of wires.
You dont have the small connector at the remote?

Paul

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The one I put in my 2002 wagon I did get at a salvage yard and got the needed connectors as well. In my case on the 2002 I needed the connector that went to the radio as well as the one for the remote. I actually had gone to the salvage yard not looking for the remote but when I saw it I got it, the connectors, and the column shroud as well. I think I paid $10 for all. Ive noticed that almost all the remotes sold on ebay do not come with the needed connector which I believe to be unique to that remote control. Keep in mind that this remote control came from the factory only on 05-07 Focus however I believe they were used on other Fords of similar years as well. Even if you find the connector you will also need a set of contacts for the radio connector as well.

Do you have the connector pinout diagrams?

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one I put in my 2002 wagon I did get at a salvage yard and got the needed connectors as well. In my case on the 2002 I needed the connector that went to the radio as well as the one for the remote. I actually had gone to the salvage yard not looking for the remote but when I saw it I got it, the connectors, and the column shroud as well. I think I paid $10 for all. Ive noticed that almost all the remotes sold on ebay do not come with the needed connector which I believe to be unique to that remote control. Keep in mind that this remote control came from the factory only on 05-07 Focus however I believe they were used on other Fords of similar years as well. Even if you find the connector you will also need a set of contacts for the radio connector as well.

Do you have the connector pinout diagrams?

Paul
Hi Paul,

I do have the connector pinout diagrams for the back of the radio. I suspect that I may have to make my own connector. Do you know which two pins on the remote unit are used? BTW, the unit I purchased from ebay came from Latvia, so it came from a 2000 to 2004 European spec car.

Jim

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
That is a very small connector with tiny contacts which will be difficult to duplicate. You could buy one seperately but it will probably cost you almost as much as you paid for the entire remote.

Wiring:
Pin 1 on remote to pin 18 on radio
Pin 2 on remote to pin 19 on radio

If you hold the remote as it would mount on the steering column the three contacts from bottom to top are 1, 2, 3. 3 is not used.

Paul

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a very small connector with tiny contacts which will be difficult to duplicate. You could buy one seperately but it will probably cost you almost as much as you paid for the entire remote.

Wiring:
Pin 1 on remote to pin 18 on radio
Pin 2 on remote to pin 19 on radio

If you hold the remote as it would mount on the steering column the three contacts from bottom to top are 1, 2, 3. 3 is not used.

Paul
That is great information. Thank you! I will be going to my local radio shack this weekend to see if I can find something that may work as a two pin connector for pins 1 and 2.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
That is great information. Thank you! I will be going to my local radio shack this weekend to see if I can find something that may work as a two pin connector for pins 1 and 2.
Cable Data transfer cable Wire Composite material Gun barrel Auto part Fashion accessory Bumper Cable Personal protective equipment

Paul

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Finally installed my steering column radio control unit and everything works 4.0. I had to make my own wiring harness using connectors I purchased from radio shack and 3 feet of doorbell wire from Ace Hardware. Thanks for all the help.

Jim
(y)

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts