Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the one weird bolt is to drop the column is down? 3 nuts & what? torks size or what?

·
Registered
202 Posts
my 07 shop manual the diagram shows 1 bolt with a flat head (so I assume torx) but they didn't list the size, just the recommended TQ when reinstalling (10 lb-ft)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to get the right torx size or whatever it is before I tear it down. Stupid that ford did that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I've noticed the randomness on the interior stuff already

"ok guys we'll put some 8mm bolts here,7mm here, t15 there, t20 there, phillips here. Hey do we anything in SAE? No? ok put a 1/4" here."

[bash][bash]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've noticed the randomness on the interior stuff already

"ok guys we'll put some 8mm bolts here,7mm here, t15 there, t20 there, phillips here. Hey do we anything in SAE? No? ok put a 1/4" here."

[bash][bash]
Yea, I see that also. How about the covers underneath the focus,fusion & 150? You'd think they'd be all the same size like a 10mm huh, wrong, try 8mm ,10mm & 12mm. All the LX bodied cars are 10's.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wanting to drop it down, by adding some nuts. 3 are on studs & the 4th is a long weird bolt thats not a torks head, looks like a rounds torks or something. Have no idea what ford w/ thinking there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
There ARE special sockets for torx head bolts (they're getting more common) but a normal socket will usually fit. Works OK as long as it doesn't require a LOT of torque.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There ARE special sockets for torx head bolts (they're getting more common) but a normal socket will usually fit. Works OK as long as it doesn't require a LOT of torque.
That'd work, Roger but its a internal torks= meaning like inside the bolt. The bolt is rounded on the outside. I suppose I can try & grab it w/ vise grips on the edge. This torx is not the regular style its rounded, not sharp edges as a tork has.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For an internal type an Allen key in the right size will often work.

Can you see where this special bolt is without taking it apart? You've got me curious now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For an internal type an Allen key in the right size will often work.

Can you see where this special bolt is without taking it apart? You've got me curious now.
You have to remove the top & bottom covers of the column & it at the passenger side towards the wheel= top right. The other 3 are on studs w/ nuts to hold the coumn. I'll do it when I have more time. It was a hassel putting the top & bottom halfs of the column back together.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Makes me wanna go take the column out of my wrecked Kona now.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes me wanna go take the column out of my wrecked Kona now.
Say Donald, let me know what size that 0ne weird bolt is. I don't know if its a torx or torx plus. Looks like a 40.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Haven't messed with it ...sorry. Just started vacation today so I slept in and then went to go over to another members house to work on his svt lemons race car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't messed with it ...sorry. Just started vacation today so I slept in and then went to go over to another members house to work on his svt lemons race car.
Man must be nice to take off time.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
It's been a year since I had a week off lol. I'm hoping to spend some time working on my car finally. Mostly cosmetic stuff.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's been a year since I had a week off lol. I'm hoping to spend some time working on my car finally. Mostly cosmetic stuff.
Yea & have a peak underneath the steering column & let me know= thanx. Enjoy your time off!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just used a standard Allen key (idk what size) and a pair of pump pliers, It slipped once or twice and now I have a scar but it works, but I think it's t 35 cause the biggest I have is t 30 and that was too small

1 - 20 of 21 Posts