Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I did a search and couldn't find a single thread on this. So I thought I'd start one. I am in the process of getting a new clutch, flywheel combo but still am undecided on what to get.

I know that most people will say that Aluminum is the better choice since it has less weight, freeing up some power. I have heard that aluminum flywheels rev up faster, but also rev down faster.
On the other hand steel flywheels keep the momentum better and make shifting and accelerating smoother, plus they are rattle free.

Well what I am looking for is to get some reviews of people with aluminum and steel flywheels, explaining why they made their choices, and if they are happy with what they got.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have a 12lb Fidanza wheel, and basically what you mentioned is exactly right. I absolutely love the way this thing revs up, makes taking off a breeze and revs to redline faster. The downside is you have to shift fast or rev match to keep your shifts smoother which isn't an issue when driving hard but during normal everyday driving it's more noticeable. Also I noticed with my A/C on, the revs drop very fast and the car has even died from dropping so fast, but then again I rarely drive in stop and go with my A/C so it doesn't bother me. The rattle. Oh yes it rattles, especially when it's cold out but ehhh that's whatever.

All in all I'd never want to drive with the stock flywheel ever again.

Reactions: opyaFSVT

·
Registered
708 Posts
From what i've read, whenever i have to replace my clutch, i'll be getting the light steel flywheel cause it's still a TON lighter than the stock svt flywheel.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I have to agree with SVT BMXer, I do like the lighter flywheel. Helps a ton!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i don't have an svt but i have the spec package and i love it!! revvs so nice!! more torque FTW!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Some good info.

About the revving down fast, is that annoying for stop and go traffic and even normal driving it sounds like you would have to rev match every shift if your not shifting fast.

Also would the loss of rotational mass with a aluminum flywheel put any extra wear on other components like the clutch??

It would also be nice to get someone with an after market steel flywheel in here, I know you are out there, they are a bit lighter (about 20 pounds to the 26 pounds stock) and are not the dual design that the stock is, so it would be nice to get some feed back on these, about performance and drive ability.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I've never had a problem w/ the revving down to fast and i do alot of stop and go driving. never stalled, well, at least not cause of that!! lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a clutchmasters aluminum flywheel. It doesn't seem to rattle too much, actually hardly at all. I was expecting it to be worse. I love the stg 3 clutch and flywheel combo. It was necessary since my svtf is boosted. Hope this helps.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
you will have no engine braking...

but you will rev faster, the car will appear to be faster, itll be more fun to drive.

mine never rattled...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Some good info.

About the revving down fast, is that annoying for stop and go traffic and even normal driving it sounds like you would have to rev match every shift if your not shifting fast.

Also would the loss of rotational mass with a aluminum flywheel put any extra wear on other components like the clutch??

It would also be nice to get someone with an after market steel flywheel in here, I know you are out there, they are a bit lighter (about 20 pounds to the 26 pounds stock) and are not the dual design that the stock is, so it would be nice to get some feed back on these, about performance and drive ability.
Nah it's not that bad, it's actually easier I think when you are used to the way drives, seems more responsive to little inputs when you're creepin through traffic or driving through town in the low gears. [thumb]

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
you will have no engine braking...

but you will rev faster, the car will appear to be faster, itll be more fun to drive.

mine never rattled...
I hope mine doesn't rattle.....I dread the rattle.

I never even thought about the loss of engine breaking very good point you made.

·
Registered
65 Posts
im totally mistified by the fact that some people get away without rattles using a fidanza-
mines louder than S---! let me know if theres a solution to this.

my favorite part of lightweight flywheel is that the focus seems faster off the first two gears.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
What does everyone mean by "seems faster." From what I understood it took weight off the crank which resulted in less of a drivetrain loss, making the car faster by unlocking power that was already there. I'm i wrong?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
What does everyone mean by "seems faster." From what I understood it took weight off the crank which resulted in less of a drivetrain loss, making the car faster by unlocking power that was already there. I'm i wrong?
If we measured the power output of an engine first with light flywheel and then again with the standard part on an engine dyno, no change in power will be seen to occur. At first it appears that the light flywheel has done nothing and was a total waste of cash. This is not the case. A dyno that shows max power at constant revs does not demonstrate what happens to an engine's power output in real life situations - like acceleration. If an engine is accelerated on a dyno (we are talking about a rate of around 2000rpm a second ) it would show a power output of around 20%-25% less than at the constant rev state.

The reason for this is that when accelerating a vehicle the engine not only has to push the total mass of the car but the internal components of the engine need to be accelerated also. This tends to absorb more power as the extra power is used accelerating the internal mass of the engine components and is why a motor accelerating on a dyno will produce less power than at constant revs. Also it must be remembered that the rate of acceleration on the engine internals is much greater that the rest of the car. This would then suggest that by lightening the flywheel, less power would be required to accelerate it and therefore more power would be available to push the car along.

Now, it may seen unbelievable that by removing a few pounds from the flywheel a noticeable difference to a 3000lb+ car’s acceleration will be made. In fact the difference is quite noticeable and the secret behind this is hidden within the gearbox. Everyone knows that cars accelerate at a greater rate in low gears, this is because a car’s gear box basically a mechanical lever and just like when using a leaver to lift a heavy object, the gearbox reduces the mass of the car that the engine sees. For example, in first gear an engine will see the car's mass as only around say 250lbs but the engine internal mass would still remain around 45lbs.

Understand?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Its all about physics and rotating mass and stuff like that. Focusguy87 that is amazing info.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
I forgot I'm thinking about getting one this spring when I do my clutch and rebuild the trans, but the flywheel cost alot of $$$ is it truely worth I would mind it but Ive seen the all for around 430 or so.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's an interesting point Turboguy327 makes. Seems to be contrary to what other people say though.

Also Thanks for the many inputs, I will go with the aluminum flywheel. I will post a review on this in here when I have it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts