Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter I installed my Steeda shifter on my focus. Steeda includes a small helper spring to get the shifter to return to center. It bolts to the shifter base and makes a 90 degree turn to the right side of the shifter and helps it return to center. After about 5 months the original spring broke at the point where it makes the 90 degree bend around the shifter base. So I took some spring steel and made a new one at the shop where I work. Tonight on my way home I can tell the shifter feels loose returning to center. Sure enough the helper spring I made myself has broken in almost exactly the same spot. I'd have to say the new one was a bit stronger than the original but failed in the same spot and in almost the same amount of time. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any recommendations? I suppose I could just make a few of these at once and keep replacing them when they break...

·
Registered
975 Posts
mine broke too. i email steeda and they sent me two new ones.

·
Registered
975 Posts
and in the same spot too.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I just bought a used steeda shifter that DID NOT come with the helper spring. I installed it and it seems to work great, I dont have any problems with it returning to center. I thought the helper spring was only there to make the 2-3 shift a little easier?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
yeah that is the shift assist i am on my 4th one, lol

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I just bought a used steeda shifter that DID NOT come with the helper spring. I installed it and it seems to work great, I dont have any problems with it returning to center. I thought the helper spring was only there to make the 2-3 shift a little easier?
that is exactly what they are for. if you were coming out of 2nd and you just need to push up and it would automaticlly put it into 3rd

·
Registered
975 Posts
yeah i love having it. u can push straight up as hard as u can and it will still hit 3rd no problem. not like i had any truble before but it just makes it that much easier.

·
Banned
589 Posts
How can I get one of these springs? I kinda want to try it out now.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
How can I get one of these springs? I kinda want to try it out now.
Every Focus shifter already has one. just move your stick towards 1st or 5th horizontally without going into either gear and let go. It should return to center, or there abouts.

I have had my stock SVT shifter and base in the car for umm, about 6 years with zero problems.

If you guys are really breaking them that fast I would have to say it isn't a problem with the spring but maybe one with the bushing on the pivot ball being too tall. Or possibly worn out and allowing you to move the stick too far right or left and stressing the spring that way.

·
Registered
975 Posts
it isnt a spring per say. its a flat piece of spring metal that when bent will go back to its original possition.

and to get some just call or email steeda and they should send u a couple.

·
Registered
975 Posts
just broke another one today.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
was this spring on the 02.5 and up version i had one a while ago and loved it in my 2003 sedan, sold it when i returned the car back to stock now i am modding again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts