Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was on steedafocus.com and noticed that the throttle spacer is available for 2008+ Foci, claims to increase HP, Torque and fuel economy. Does anybody know what kind of gains are expected from this? And what is the theory behind a spacer?

Thanks guys!

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
it's supossed to help swirl the air (for lack of a better term) to make it more dense and flow better and as a result get more into the combustion chamber. from what i've heard it's not much of a difference though. a bigger throttle body would be a better investment if anyone actually made one yet for the fly-by-wire setup

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
theyll work on a carb'd car, depending on the set-up but for a fuel injected car you wont see any gains

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
it's supossed to help swirl the air (for lack of a better term) to make it more dense and flow better and as a result get more into the combustion chamber. from what i've heard it's not much of a difference though. a bigger throttle body would be a better investment if anyone actually made one yet for the fly-by-wire setup

thats kinda correct...

they are to make the intake manifold have a larger CC. which means it can have more air in it, thus creating more power.

whether they work or not. who knows really, on a carb'd car they work great, on some fuel injected cars they do and some they dont. the best bet is to try one and dyno before and after.

·
pwned
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks for the info. Plus my throttle body is "electronic" so, I don't know if it would be worth the gains

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
it may or may not be.

the throttle body spacer is a mechanical device, so it has nothing to do with electronics.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I emailed Steeda about the claims and they never emailed me back.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Since you are getting the Steeda SRI (i beleive anyway from our convos) I wouldn't get the spacer IMO and for one reason. Spacing. Without the spacer my filter is already around 1/4 from hitting the inside of the fender of the car. I can't imagine making it any tighter. Now I now you can kinda play with how far you stick the filter onto the aluminum piece and how far you stick the aluminum piece into the flex rubber tubing (wow this is sounding dirty...) but I wouldn't want to really.

I would be more interested in making the length before the MAF on the Steeda longer to straighten and make the airflow more uniform before it hits the MAF but hey we can't all have what we want.

I would also be interested to see the inside diamter of the hole in the thing as compared to the diameter of the throttle body itself. If anything it might impede airflow if it was too much smaller as it would almost have to be to get the air to react to it. Just some thoughts.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
On a car with a carb or TBI, the air and fuel is mixed before the intake manifold, so adding a spacer will increase the volume/ effective runner length and the extra space will help the a/f mixture.

http://www.corvettefever.com/techarticles/carburetor_spacers_info/chart_2_results.html

"These spacers work by helping the fuel distribution. If you look at the bottom of the spacer, you'll see that the shape is different. The reason is, we wanted to improve the feeding of the outside runners on a single four-barrel manifold. The design picks up the air speed and gives it a specific direction. Finally, the plastic composite material insulates the carburetor. "

The type of fuel injection on our cars mixes fuel in right before the cylinder head, meaning a spacer at the throttle body will do nothing. Id spend the money elsewhere

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.