Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i dont know if anyone's dealt with this or not yet so if not ill just continue the post to help others out in the future once i find it out. But heres the question, ive got the bigger throttle body from the 2.3l mustang on my 2015 Focus Se and purchased the Steeda Throttle Body Spacer. I remember the big tb required longer bolts than what came stock so im assuming the bolts with the spacer will be too short for the big tb. Anyone know the specific bolt length and thread size for this application?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Made from Billet 6061 aluminum, it is designed to give you more plenum volume for increased horsepower. The swirl design helps promote airflow by breaking the surface tension of the incoming air. An increase of horsepower and fuel mileage can be seen with this part. Kit includes instructions, gaskets and mounting hardware.

Product Benefits

Increased horsepower and torque: 6 hp and 11 ft/lbs tq!
Increased fuel economy
Made from high-quality billet aluminum
The swirl pattern is really what adds the power. LOOOOOOLLL!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i dont care about that debate just the bolts thank you very much

·
Registered
291 Posts

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using FF Mobile
Its not a debate when its a known fact that it will do nothing.

If you are that adamant on throwing money away why don't you just get the spacer for the mustang?

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using FF Mobile
Take a bolt from the bigger throttle body, add the depth of the spacer to that bolts measurement and that should be a good gauge.

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
2 different custom Intake manifolds didnt add 6hp and 11tq

There is 100% NO WAY you will see 1/5 those gains from a TB spacer , there a joke like UDP

I hate seeing people throw good money away on crap that makes no performance when there are things out there that can help there performance

Tom

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
^^ UDP's free up hp/torque they don't add, and i've had good results with them as long as they are significantly lighter them oem crank pulley. The intake manifolds I think is an issue with SCT, the tuning has an issue with the VVT and both manifolds dropped off at same RPM, too much of a coincidence I think..more digging needs to be done.

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
^^ UDP's free up hp/torque they don't add, and i've had good results with them as long as they are significantly lighter them oem crank pulley. The intake manifolds I think is an issue with SCT, the tuning has an issue with the VVT and both manifolds dropped off at same RPM, too much of a coincidence I think..more digging needs to be done.
How can they free up HP and TQ yet not add any HP and TQ , if it frees it up and it doesnt add it to the Fly wheel / tires then where does it go ?

How is it a issue with the SCT Software that the intakes didnt work ?

There is NO Tuning issues with the VCT , the cams were moved around a to try to help and on top of that the cams shouldnt need to of been moved , do people that change from the stock intake on the 04-11 Duratecs to a Cosi have to move there cams to get the intake to show gains , nope they show gains right out of the box even with out a tune done , The VCT is something I have been working with for years , it started with the Contour Zetec then went to the SVT Focus now the MK3 , its there in the software and it works , every tune I send out has the cams changed in it

The intakes should of shown gains right out of the box then tweek the engines for best performance , your getting some very bad information on how things work and what is and isnt working in the SCT

Tom

·
Registered
291 Posts
The tuning on both of those manifolds were set to make peak torque far beyond the current rev limit. They were not properly designed at all. If you want a manifold that makes more power then it has to be properly designed to the motor, and not just made to fit.
The only problems I have ever seen with SCT is that they have not let us raise the rpm of shifts or let us shift the DCT ourselves.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
There is many problems with the SCT MK3 Software but none have to do with the VCT or cam change settings

Tom
As long as it's been throughly investigated and ruled out, then thats fine.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
How can they free up HP and TQ yet not add any HP and TQ , if it frees it up and it doesnt add it to the Fly wheel / tires then where does it go ?

How is it a issue with the SCT Software that the intakes didnt work ?

There is NO Tuning issues with the VCT , the cams were moved around a to try to help and on top of that the cams shouldnt need to of been moved , do people that change from the stock intake on the 04-11 Duratecs to a Cosi have to move there cams to get the intake to show gains , nope they show gains right out of the box even with out a tune done , The VCT is something I have been working with for years , it started with the Contour Zetec then went to the SVT Focus now the MK3 , its there in the software and it works , every tune I send out has the cams changed in it

The intakes should of shown gains right out of the box then tweek the engines for best performance , your getting some very bad information on how things work and what is and isnt working in the SCT

Tom
An example, someone bought same wheels as me, Enkei rpof1s.. 17.3 pounds each versus the 25lbs of his stock wheels, same size and brand tires.. dynoday, no changes except the wheels, dynoed an extra +3 hp due to less rotating mass... did a bunch of runs, there was variences of course but overall, vast majority of runs were higher with the lighter wheels...hp was not created, but freed up due to the lighter unsprung rotational weight..same concept applies to a UDP.. my sunfire had a big heavy metal crank pulley..replaced with an anodised aluminum pulley with metal key..cant recall how lighter, maybe 60% lighter...I felt a difference right away and the extra power was felt the faster I drove, ie: at highway speeds I had more passing power.. I did a dyno after the UDP, but I already had significant mods, showed up as a +2 to 3hp and torque improvement. I can't speak for focus or other cars but I know the weight savings plays a part, if the pullies are not significantly lighter, they wont do much. The power freed up is even greater on larger engines with more and heavier pullies like v8's. If this does not free up hp then its the biggest scam in world because they are tons of people that love this mod, a lot less for 4 banger scene

·
FF Affiliate
30,148 Posts
I 100% agree lighter wheels get up to speed quicker and to a stop quicker , we agree on that no doubt and they show gains on the dyno in added HP/TQ just like the UDP should

UDP should show the same gains by lightening the cranks rotating mass , take the heavy SVT dual mass Fly , you loose 18-20lbs i think it was by going to a Alum Fly and CM4 Clutch which is a LOT more weight then the UDP will ever see by a lot , the gain in HP was less then 3hp , no other changes were made , off the dyno , change clutch back on the dyno by lunch the next day , same dyno , if loosing that kind of weight on the other end of the crank doesnt gain but 3hp how is a UDP going to loose 2-5 ? They dont

There is many dynos floating around I have done with nothing changed but the UDP and there was less then 1hp +/- which is normal between runs , UDP just dont work

I have told the story before about a customer bringing me his Camaro to install the UDP , didnt have time when he came by I was busy and told him they were in the car and bring it back tomorrow please , he came back the next morning thinking because they were not still in the front seat that I ment they were installed and started telling me how much he liked the gains from the UDP , then I showed him they were in the trunk and he was shocked , wanted to know what I did that his car felt better ???? LOL Then I did install them and dynoed them , they claimed 7-9 hp and he gained 1.5 +/- which again could of been just the dyno

If you like the UDP then its your money and spend it the way you choose , im all for that , if your adding them for HP/TQ they dont and its why you dont see people selling the Focus UDP or there customers showing any gains / dynos

Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For anyone still interested in the original point of this post, the bolts will need to be 3 1/4" long. Still need to take a bolt into the store to match the thread size and find the right length though

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
Tom is right, spacers really do nothing on MPFI engines, they had effect on engines where the air carried the fuel all the way, on dry manifolds there is no effect. The use of them was not about changing plenum space of which many may have too much now, it was about altering the flow curve from the bottom of a CARBURETOR into the top of a fairly low intake to ease the curve there to allow air to turn better and thus increase airflow. Today's intakes are now straight there where they used to make a 90 degree turn.....

Swirl in an intake is largely a joke, the very idea of it means taking a longer path to get somewhere (spiral travel vs. straight) and that is a LOWERING of performance any way you look at it. The only place swirl has any good effect is in the combustion chamber itself. Turbulence in chamber = mostly good but turbulence in an intake = mostly bad.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts