Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
impressions from first track weekend with the steeda (replaced aem cai). no noticeble difference on the long straights at vir. actually was faster (125 trap speed on front straight), but that was because of a better entrance speed to straight. mid range torque is good, still can pull almost 7300 very quickly.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
focuzd

no problems with mass air or tp with oil fouling. considering i ran over 200 miles at speed this weekend, i'd say we have a weener.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Thanks for the update Gary I might have to be investing in one of those

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dont waste your money on a Steeda (buy AEM or something else) My buddy fell into the steeda scam.wasted $149.00 had it for maybe 500miles and was getting almost a whole sec loss et's at the track to prove this we even swapped back to his orig AEM while at the track. he went form a 17.035to a 16.232.Even made three passes to be sure.If you know who wants it Im sure he will gladly cut a deal.
--oh and focuzdsvt the maf connector is used off the stock box

·
Registered
975 Posts
Gary im trying to make a decision so i can order the intake so do u think i should go with the AEM or buy the steeda? You said u didn't notice any difference so either one would work fine?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
difference

where i did not notice any difference was power on the track. where i did notice a difference was zero oil consumption. i had to run the breather on the aem into a catch can, which seemed to allow too much pressure buildup in the motor. this was, granted at extreme rpm, for extended periods. at vir in feb ran alot of miles as an instructor. there are only 2 places on the full course where the rpm's drop much below 5k. basically the motor is running most of the time in the 6 to 7k rpm range. with the aem, i would have blown out about a quart every 200 miles on track. no such problem with the steeda.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thats awesome that you have no loss in power, as I am debating short ram myself to not have to deal with AEM anymore. My question is, I also had to run catch can for breather, how does the steeda prevent that from happening, I was just under the impression the extended high rpm's were just forcing oil out, so with steeda couldn't it get in intake and go through motor?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oil

1st remember, i was giving seat of the pants, not dyno info. what i know is that i still could hit 125mph and the end of both straights at vir. as far as sucking oil-notice that the crankcase hose goes way down on the aem and then sucks the oil through your maf-on the steeda its filter,maf, then breather. so oil ends up where it should and does not suck through the maf. as far as we can tell,you need that vacuum for car to run right. with breather you are losing that vacuum and building up a ton of pressure in the crankcase. after installing my breather on the aem last year, i noticed oil seepage from the valve cover on track days-no more.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yah, I just figured by top speed in main straight, but like you said exit speed affect that. About the shrot ram, tat makes sense though, as before I was just running a little k&n filter from my valve cover and that was getting oily, so I see what your saying about pressure building up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: oil

garyk said:
1st remember, i was giving seat of the pants, not dyno info. what i know is that i still could hit 125mph and the end of both straights at vir. as far as sucking oil-notice that the crankcase hose goes way down on the aem and then sucks the oil through your maf-on the steeda its filter,maf, then breather. so oil ends up where it should and does not suck through the maf. as far as we can tell,you need that vacuum for car to run right. with breather you are losing that vacuum and building up a ton of pressure in the crankcase. after installing my breather on the aem last year, i noticed oil seepage from the valve cover on track days-no more.
If I understand you correctly, the amount of oil expended throught the breather is the same, the difference is that with the Steeda, it is making it back in through the intake without creating any problems - correct?

Also, I have not checked but does Ford Racing, or anyone else, make a valve cover with a much larger breather diameter? This would reduce the exit velocity, reducing the amount of oil expended.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Re: Re: oil

Interceptor2k said:
If I understand you correctly, the amount of oil expended throught the breather is the same, the difference is that with the Steeda, it is making it back in through the intake without creating any problems - correct?

Also, I have not checked but does Ford Racing, or anyone else, make a valve cover with a much larger breather diameter? This would reduce the exit velocity, reducing the amount of oil expended.
A larger port would decrease the speed at which the oil is exiting, but won't decrease the amount of oil. If anything, this might allow more oil to leave....just slower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts