Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering installation of the Steeda RSB on my '14 Ti.

Has anyone with the Handling Package done this ? What are your thoughts?

Given that this car already has a "sport suspension", I'm wondering if changing out a part of that is a smart move.

Thanks guys.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
What size is the oem rear bar? You can figure out how much more stiff the new bar will be:

Stiffer the rear end more, more prone you'll be to get that end to slide (more-so in wet/slick conditions.) I'd say slight increase would be nice but too extreme of an increase with softer oem springs might not be ideal.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not sure how much different a car with the handling package is from a base SE, but I think the HP has the FRPP lowering springs already on it (those springs only lower the car a half inch or so), and better dampers. Not to sure on the stabilizer bar differences for that package.

Short story long, it should improve your handling and make the car better at both initial turn in and rotation through a corner.

With my car it was a nice, noticeable difference ('12 SE). I would think with your car the movements would be a little crisper than mine, probably a little more enjoyment that what I've experienced.

I don't think you'd have such a radical difference that it would be tail happy in the wet, especially since the rear wheels are not driven.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a '14 Titanium w/ Handling Package and recently got a Steeda RSB Installed. I actually found this thread bcos I was trying to see what the Handling Package entailed exactly (i think its just springs etc.)

I do feel a difference with the upgraded RSB. the car really does feel like its on rails. It was pretty good at cornering before, but now its even better - smooth. Granted, I tend to take turns at higher speeds so maybe i feel the difference more. However upgrading the rear makes me feel like I'm putting more strain on the front end ...maybe i'll upgrade the front sway bar in the future. If I'm not mistaken, the Hndlg Pkg comes with the same RSB as everyone else, so upgrading it should help.

IF anyone has more or better info on the '14 hdnling pkg, that'd be great. :)

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well from what i understand the RSB is the same across all the mk3 NON St models. I would say definitely get one! one of the best mods i've done.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the steeda bar on my 2012 titanium with handling pack, I find it has less tendency to plow through turns (especially in snow and on ice). That being said i've had it for about two years now so i don't remember what the factory bar feels like.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Steeda RWB

I have a 2012 Titanium with the Handling Package with the 18" wheels. I put on the Steeda rear bar and and it is a tremendous improvement!!! The rear end feels firmly planted and it corners like it's on rails. Also, if you haven't already done it, put in a stiffer rear motor mount. The combination of these two mods make my car 100% more fun to drive!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I have a 2012 Titanium with the Handling Package with the 18" wheels. I put on the Steeda rear bar and and it is a tremendous improvement!!! The rear end feels firmly planted and it corners like it's on rails. Also, if you haven't already done it, put in a stiffer rear motor mount. The combination of these two mods make my car 100% more fun to drive!
Off subject but where did you get the ford racing intake piece from it says you have in your signiture?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Off subject but where did you get the ford racing intake piece from it says you have in your signiture?
maybe its this:

I'd be interested if he bought just the inlet some how... steeda sells their own version at $130~, but that still seems pricey to me =/

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah i just want the inlet.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i just dont want to pay $130 for it lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
Exactly. Price seems steep for what it is. Even if it's designed fit

·
Registered
160 Posts
SamuShamploo - Replying to your question, I bought the Ford Racing package last fall from Auto Nation Ford, they had it on sale for half price.

The racing snorkel keeps the temp in the stock air box at ambient temp when I'm moving, which is what I wanted. I tested it using an indoor weather station that has a remote sensor. I taped that to the inside of the air box and read the temps in real time from the main unit in the Focus.

FYI - I have the cooler ST cooler plugs, K&N filter and the code sheet to get the Ford racing tune sitting in my garage, if anyone is interested in buying them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
thats a good deal!!! thought you somehow just bought the inlet.

testing it like that is pretty cool. you have any #s? or notice big differences?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rambleon wrote "Stiffer the rear end more, more prone you'll be to get that end to slide (more-so in wet/slick conditions.) I'd say slight increase would be nice but too extreme of an increase with softer oem springs might not be ideal."

I'm told that the OEM rear sway bar is 19mm throughout the 12-14 Focus models. I believe I read that the Steeda RSB is 25-26mm. According to the chart provided, going from a 19mm to 25 or 26 mm would be 200-250% stiffer, and "would not be ideal" as per the OP.

This seems to be at odds with the reviews provided so far, and could result in handling problems.

Any thoughts on this ?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Steeda claims it as "100% Stiffer", and that adds up because of it's being a tubular bar instead of a solid one.

This makes a large difference vs. the chart for similar type bars, where a smaller change makes a larger difference.

Healthy change, with a large difference in handling, but not the extreme you'd want to avoid.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sailor, thanks very much for explaining that. I knew that Rambleon usually has pretty good info, with specifics, etc., so I was pretty suspect of my own understanding.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That size in a solid bar was too much for the older cars when used with softer springs (more chance of lower arm breakage) and was stiff enough for a rather loose rear in any combination.

By size alone it looks like too much (assuming solid), I'm sure that had something to do with his thoughts.

Comparing percentages of increased stiffness, that would be equivalent to a 24mm vs. 20mm (stock MkI) from the chart which was as much as you'd want on the older cars without noticeably stiffer springs to complement it. (107% stiffer from the chart)

We can't really compare sizes & their results directly from the older models due to the change in weight alone, you'd need more bar for the same effect on a heavier car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts