Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't heard much about Steeda's rear shock tower brace. It looks like something that would only be noticeable during aggressive/extreme driving. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I dont know that anyone has installed this bar persay but i know a couple guys have the fswerks bar and a couple of the sedan guys have custom ones. From what I understand from reading the threads is they dont make much of a difference unless you autocross or drive your car like a race car all the time lol. I was thinking about doing one eventually just cause they are not that expensive and #becauseracecar.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont know that anyone has installed this bar persay but i know a couple guys have the fswerks bar and a couple of the sedan guys have custom ones. From what I understand from reading the threads is they dont make much of a difference unless you autocross or drive your car like a race car all the time lol. I was thinking about doing one eventually just cause they are not that expensive and #becauseracecar.
That's what I was thinking. It just seems like something you'd add on after upgraded shocks & springs. But until then, it may be pointless. Thanks for the reply.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah, unless you come accross an extra $100 and it's burning a hole in your pocket haha.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just ordered the FSWERKS strut bar on impulse O_O..... lol
I already have the Steeda RSB ........and I don't autocross. I'll see how much of a difference the strut tower bar makes. I tend to take corners too fast anyways, so I feel like the bar should help a little bit lol.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well it definitely wont hurt lol. I plan on getting one eventually.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine just arrived today and i picked it up, the main reason why is i wanted the extra little bit of protection when i install my stiffer springs and dampers. Although our cars are pretty good but i got it more or less to try and keep the rear hatch from rattling around like it did on my friends old 90's civic hatches.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
mine just arrived today and i picked it up, the main reason why is i wanted the extra little bit of protection when i install my stiffer springs and dampers. Although our cars are pretty good but i got it more or less to try and keep the rear hatch from rattling around like it did on my friends old 90's civic hatches.
well get it installed and let us know what you think![twothumbs]

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
Do these cars benefit from a front subframe brace or K member brace? I've found that these braces do wonders with turning fast, the front end almost "rotates" around corners, feels so fun... usually combined with poly control arm bushings and other suspension mods

·
Registered
91 Posts
I currently have the Steeda STB installed in my car in conjunction with the Steeda RSB. Although I installed them at the same time I do notice that there is a little less body noise coming from the rear when I drive with extra vigor. The rear end of my car seems extremely solid now and will actually oversteer on the edge of grip instead of the stock understeer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It sees to me that the only way for this brace to be practical, is for the tube part to be in two pieces so it could be easily removed if you needed to carry anything in the back. The brace position seems to be in the perfect place to be in the way for carrying anything!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It sees to me that the only way for this brace to be practical, is for the tube part to be in two pieces so it could be easily removed if you needed to carry anything in the back. The brace position seems to be in the perfect place to be in the way for carrying anything!
It is a bit annoying when trying to fit things with the seat down, but under normal operation it really stays out of the way. You can also take it off with 4 bolts and not have to worry about your shocks loosening up since it's longer bolts threaded the same way as the original ones. It's a 2 min uninstall if you have to remove it.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Good to know. These are getting more and more tempting.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the bar installed. I'd like to see how much it blocks the package area.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the bar installed. I'd like to see how much it blocks the package area.
This is the FSwerks bar, but it should be the same impact on area

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
I like the bar but yeah, not practical as I bought a hatch so I could occasionally put large boxes in that wouldnt fit in a sedan.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing to consider is that this bar may eliminate subframe stress throughout the years. Maybe we wouldn't be able to notice that the bar has been installed now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle handled slightly firmer than other MK3s (without the STB) 5 years down the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a Ford Contour with a lowered sport suspension and a bigger rear sway bar. I put a similar brace in the trunk and thought it helped the handling somewhat.

BUT, I don't like the braces I've seen for the hatchback because they don't have any tension adjustment to keep them tight over time. I think there would be the potential for these braces to loosen up and rattle over time.

The Contour brace had threaded rods with lock-nuts on each of the ends that attached to the body brackets. One twist of the main brace rod body and I could keep it tight for no flex or rattles.

Find one that adjusts and I would put it in, even though the positioning is inconvenient for carrying stuff.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Steeda RSB Update:

I believe the RSB is in it's, "post break in phase."? It doesn't seem to be as firm in the ass-end as it was right after installation, which to me, is kind of a bummer. That said, it is way more balanced now than it's ever been.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts